Maria Sharapova is NBC's New Correspondent
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 14, 2013 11:13 AM EST
Tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has been chosen as the new correspondent of National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC).
"Thrilled to be part of the NBC Olympic Broadcasting team at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games," she tweeted.
NBC will cover the Winter Olympics which will be held in Sharapova's hometown, Sochi. Who is the best athlete to cover such event than Sharapova. The athlete and her family moved to Sochi when she was just 2 years old. She lived in Sochi until she was 6 years old. As you can tell, getting involved in this job would surely bring a lot of memories to the Russian athlete.
As the new correspondent, Sharapova will be sharing her insight and analysis on the first-ever Winter Games held in her country.
"As an Olympian, it really means so much to me, that this year's Olympic Games will take place in my hometown," Sharapova told Forbes. She was the flag-bearer of her country during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London where he had won a gold medal.
"I am very much looking forward to sharing the rich culture and history of my hometown Sochi to the world by being a part of the NBC family," said Sharapova.
The opening ceremony is scheduled on Feb 7.
"Maria is definitely one of the most popular sports stars in the world," said Jim Bell, the executive producer of NBC Olympics. "She can bring an exceptional and personal perspective, she knows Sochi so well," Bell added.
Along with her blossoming candy business and fashion events that she occasionally attends to, here and there, her new hosting career shouldn't be a problem. With Sharapova's beauty and wit, we are sure that she is going to be a natural on television.
Sharapova has not played since August because of a recurring shoulder injury. However, she is expected to play in the opening event in Brisbane, as well as in the Australian Open, which commences on Jan 13. She has also announced on Facebook that she will be competing in the 2014 BNP Paribas Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans