Maria Sharapova is NBC's New Correspondent
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 14, 2013 11:13 AM EST
Tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has been chosen as the new correspondent of National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC).
"Thrilled to be part of the NBC Olympic Broadcasting team at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games," she tweeted.
NBC will cover the Winter Olympics which will be held in Sharapova's hometown, Sochi. Who is the best athlete to cover such event than Sharapova. The athlete and her family moved to Sochi when she was just 2 years old. She lived in Sochi until she was 6 years old. As you can tell, getting involved in this job would surely bring a lot of memories to the Russian athlete.
As the new correspondent, Sharapova will be sharing her insight and analysis on the first-ever Winter Games held in her country.
"As an Olympian, it really means so much to me, that this year's Olympic Games will take place in my hometown," Sharapova told Forbes. She was the flag-bearer of her country during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London where he had won a gold medal.
"I am very much looking forward to sharing the rich culture and history of my hometown Sochi to the world by being a part of the NBC family," said Sharapova.
The opening ceremony is scheduled on Feb 7.
"Maria is definitely one of the most popular sports stars in the world," said Jim Bell, the executive producer of NBC Olympics. "She can bring an exceptional and personal perspective, she knows Sochi so well," Bell added.
Along with her blossoming candy business and fashion events that she occasionally attends to, here and there, her new hosting career shouldn't be a problem. With Sharapova's beauty and wit, we are sure that she is going to be a natural on television.
Sharapova has not played since August because of a recurring shoulder injury. However, she is expected to play in the opening event in Brisbane, as well as in the Australian Open, which commences on Jan 13. She has also announced on Facebook that she will be competing in the 2014 BNP Paribas Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation