Maria Sharapova is NBC's New Correspondent
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 14, 2013 11:13 AM EST
Tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has been chosen as the new correspondent of National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC).
"Thrilled to be part of the NBC Olympic Broadcasting team at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games," she tweeted.
NBC will cover the Winter Olympics which will be held in Sharapova's hometown, Sochi. Who is the best athlete to cover such event than Sharapova. The athlete and her family moved to Sochi when she was just 2 years old. She lived in Sochi until she was 6 years old. As you can tell, getting involved in this job would surely bring a lot of memories to the Russian athlete.
As the new correspondent, Sharapova will be sharing her insight and analysis on the first-ever Winter Games held in her country.
"As an Olympian, it really means so much to me, that this year's Olympic Games will take place in my hometown," Sharapova told Forbes. She was the flag-bearer of her country during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London where he had won a gold medal.
"I am very much looking forward to sharing the rich culture and history of my hometown Sochi to the world by being a part of the NBC family," said Sharapova.
The opening ceremony is scheduled on Feb 7.
"Maria is definitely one of the most popular sports stars in the world," said Jim Bell, the executive producer of NBC Olympics. "She can bring an exceptional and personal perspective, she knows Sochi so well," Bell added.
Along with her blossoming candy business and fashion events that she occasionally attends to, here and there, her new hosting career shouldn't be a problem. With Sharapova's beauty and wit, we are sure that she is going to be a natural on television.
Sharapova has not played since August because of a recurring shoulder injury. However, she is expected to play in the opening event in Brisbane, as well as in the Australian Open, which commences on Jan 13. She has also announced on Facebook that she will be competing in the 2014 BNP Paribas Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate