Maria Sharapova is NBC's New Correspondent
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 14, 2013 11:13 AM EST
Tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has been chosen as the new correspondent of National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC).
"Thrilled to be part of the NBC Olympic Broadcasting team at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games," she tweeted.
NBC will cover the Winter Olympics which will be held in Sharapova's hometown, Sochi. Who is the best athlete to cover such event than Sharapova. The athlete and her family moved to Sochi when she was just 2 years old. She lived in Sochi until she was 6 years old. As you can tell, getting involved in this job would surely bring a lot of memories to the Russian athlete.
As the new correspondent, Sharapova will be sharing her insight and analysis on the first-ever Winter Games held in her country.
"As an Olympian, it really means so much to me, that this year's Olympic Games will take place in my hometown," Sharapova told Forbes. She was the flag-bearer of her country during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London where he had won a gold medal.
"I am very much looking forward to sharing the rich culture and history of my hometown Sochi to the world by being a part of the NBC family," said Sharapova.
The opening ceremony is scheduled on Feb 7.
"Maria is definitely one of the most popular sports stars in the world," said Jim Bell, the executive producer of NBC Olympics. "She can bring an exceptional and personal perspective, she knows Sochi so well," Bell added.
Along with her blossoming candy business and fashion events that she occasionally attends to, here and there, her new hosting career shouldn't be a problem. With Sharapova's beauty and wit, we are sure that she is going to be a natural on television.
Sharapova has not played since August because of a recurring shoulder injury. However, she is expected to play in the opening event in Brisbane, as well as in the Australian Open, which commences on Jan 13. She has also announced on Facebook that she will be competing in the 2014 BNP Paribas Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS