Maria Sharapova is NBC's New Correspondent
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 14, 2013 11:13 AM EST
Tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has been chosen as the new correspondent of National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC).
"Thrilled to be part of the NBC Olympic Broadcasting team at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games," she tweeted.
NBC will cover the Winter Olympics which will be held in Sharapova's hometown, Sochi. Who is the best athlete to cover such event than Sharapova. The athlete and her family moved to Sochi when she was just 2 years old. She lived in Sochi until she was 6 years old. As you can tell, getting involved in this job would surely bring a lot of memories to the Russian athlete.
As the new correspondent, Sharapova will be sharing her insight and analysis on the first-ever Winter Games held in her country.
"As an Olympian, it really means so much to me, that this year's Olympic Games will take place in my hometown," Sharapova told Forbes. She was the flag-bearer of her country during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London where he had won a gold medal.
"I am very much looking forward to sharing the rich culture and history of my hometown Sochi to the world by being a part of the NBC family," said Sharapova.
The opening ceremony is scheduled on Feb 7.
"Maria is definitely one of the most popular sports stars in the world," said Jim Bell, the executive producer of NBC Olympics. "She can bring an exceptional and personal perspective, she knows Sochi so well," Bell added.
Along with her blossoming candy business and fashion events that she occasionally attends to, here and there, her new hosting career shouldn't be a problem. With Sharapova's beauty and wit, we are sure that she is going to be a natural on television.
Sharapova has not played since August because of a recurring shoulder injury. However, she is expected to play in the opening event in Brisbane, as well as in the Australian Open, which commences on Jan 13. She has also announced on Facebook that she will be competing in the 2014 BNP Paribas Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June