Is the Las Vegas Showdown between Serena Williams and Andy Murray the Next ‘Battle of the Sexes?'
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 13, 2013 6:32 PM EST
Serena Williams and Andy Murray are reportedly to face each other on a tennis showdown in Las Vegas in 2014. It has been reported that the representatives of both Williams and Murray are set to meet to finalise the said historic event.
If the said face-off between Williams and Murray is set, this will be the fourth time that a woman and a man will fight in a tennis match.
In 1973, the first-ever tennis match, known as the Battle of the Sexes, between a man and woman took place. Former World No 1 Bobby Riggs, who was 55 years old at that time, came out of retirement, and challenged one of the world's greatest female players. He initially asked Billy Jean King to compete with him, but she declined.
Following his win over Court, Riggs continued to challenge Billie Jean King.
"Billie Jean King is one of the all-time tennis greats," Riggs told TIME. "She is one of the superstars, but she doesn't deserve a chance with me," said Riggs. "Women's tennis is definitely far beyond men's tennis," he said.
King finally accepted Riggs proposed match, along with a lucrative prize money. The match was televised on national TV. King triumphed over Riggs. However, a few critics were not impressed. Riggs also felt depressed about his loss, especially the fact that it was to a woman. He even locked himself in his hotel room for four hours.
The third Battle of the Sexes was between Martina Navratilova and Jimmy Connors. It was held a Caesar's Palace in Paradise, Nevada in 1992. Connors won.
Maybe a fourth Battle of the Sexes is really about to happen.
Andy Murray has already expressed his feelings about having a match with Serena Williams. A Twitter user asked Murray if he would be willing to challenge Williams. "I would be up for it, why not," said Murray. Williams also shared her thoughts on the idea. "That would be fun, although I highly doubt that I will win a point," said Williams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier