Is the Las Vegas Showdown between Serena Williams and Andy Murray the Next ‘Battle of the Sexes?'
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 13, 2013 6:32 PM EST
Serena Williams and Andy Murray are reportedly to face each other on a tennis showdown in Las Vegas in 2014. It has been reported that the representatives of both Williams and Murray are set to meet to finalise the said historic event.
If the said face-off between Williams and Murray is set, this will be the fourth time that a woman and a man will fight in a tennis match.
In 1973, the first-ever tennis match, known as the Battle of the Sexes, between a man and woman took place. Former World No 1 Bobby Riggs, who was 55 years old at that time, came out of retirement, and challenged one of the world's greatest female players. He initially asked Billy Jean King to compete with him, but she declined.
Following his win over Court, Riggs continued to challenge Billie Jean King.
"Billie Jean King is one of the all-time tennis greats," Riggs told TIME. "She is one of the superstars, but she doesn't deserve a chance with me," said Riggs. "Women's tennis is definitely far beyond men's tennis," he said.
King finally accepted Riggs proposed match, along with a lucrative prize money. The match was televised on national TV. King triumphed over Riggs. However, a few critics were not impressed. Riggs also felt depressed about his loss, especially the fact that it was to a woman. He even locked himself in his hotel room for four hours.
The third Battle of the Sexes was between Martina Navratilova and Jimmy Connors. It was held a Caesar's Palace in Paradise, Nevada in 1992. Connors won.
Maybe a fourth Battle of the Sexes is really about to happen.
Andy Murray has already expressed his feelings about having a match with Serena Williams. A Twitter user asked Murray if he would be willing to challenge Williams. "I would be up for it, why not," said Murray. Williams also shared her thoughts on the idea. "That would be fun, although I highly doubt that I will win a point," said Williams.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3