Novak Djokovic Thankful for the 2013 Season Despite Losing World No. 1 Rank to Rafael Nadal
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 13, 2013 2:56 PM EST
Serbian professional tennis player Novak Djokovic couldn't be so thankful for the 2013 season. Djokovic may have lost his World No. 1 rank to Rafael Nadal, but he sure has a lot of things to be grateful for.
"What a great way to finish the year," Djokovic wrote on Instagram. "I may not be number 1 but Rafa definitely deserves it," he added. "A big thank you to everybody who has supported me all throughout the year, love you all #nolefam," wrote Djokovic.
Djokovic has defeated World No. 1 Rafael Nadal, 6-3, 6-4, on Monday in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Finals in London. This is his third victory in the ATP Finals, and Djokovic has remained unbeaten since the U.S. Open.
"This was just the best possible ending," Djokovic told ATP. "Now, I really feel that my season was really good, after the fall run and all," he added. "This is definitely a great way to boost my confidence for the beginning of the next season," said Djokovic.
Djokovic started the 2013 season by defeating World No 4 Andy Murray in the finals of the Australian Open. It was his third consecutive win in the said tournament and the sixth Grand Slam of this professional tennis career. He had also triumphed over Tomas Berdych in the finals of Dubai Tennis Championships in March, giving him his 36th professional singles' title.
He has defeated long-time rival Rafael Nadal in the finals of Monte Carlo Rolex Masters, and it was the first time for Djokovic to have won in Monte Carlo.
All throughout his entire tennis career, Djokovic has faced Nadal 39 times. Djokovic's victory against Nadal on Monday gave him a split of six matches against the Spanish athlete in the 2013 season. Nadal still leads, 22 to 17. Who knows, maybe Nole would own the head to head with Rafa soon.
Congratulations to Novak Djokovic for a strong finish.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown