Novak Djokovic Thankful for the 2013 Season Despite Losing World No. 1 Rank to Rafael Nadal
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 13, 2013 2:56 PM EST
Serbian professional tennis player Novak Djokovic couldn't be so thankful for the 2013 season. Djokovic may have lost his World No. 1 rank to Rafael Nadal, but he sure has a lot of things to be grateful for.
"What a great way to finish the year," Djokovic wrote on Instagram. "I may not be number 1 but Rafa definitely deserves it," he added. "A big thank you to everybody who has supported me all throughout the year, love you all #nolefam," wrote Djokovic.
Djokovic has defeated World No. 1 Rafael Nadal, 6-3, 6-4, on Monday in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Finals in London. This is his third victory in the ATP Finals, and Djokovic has remained unbeaten since the U.S. Open.
"This was just the best possible ending," Djokovic told ATP. "Now, I really feel that my season was really good, after the fall run and all," he added. "This is definitely a great way to boost my confidence for the beginning of the next season," said Djokovic.
Djokovic started the 2013 season by defeating World No 4 Andy Murray in the finals of the Australian Open. It was his third consecutive win in the said tournament and the sixth Grand Slam of this professional tennis career. He had also triumphed over Tomas Berdych in the finals of Dubai Tennis Championships in March, giving him his 36th professional singles' title.
He has defeated long-time rival Rafael Nadal in the finals of Monte Carlo Rolex Masters, and it was the first time for Djokovic to have won in Monte Carlo.
All throughout his entire tennis career, Djokovic has faced Nadal 39 times. Djokovic's victory against Nadal on Monday gave him a split of six matches against the Spanish athlete in the 2013 season. Nadal still leads, 22 to 17. Who knows, maybe Nole would own the head to head with Rafa soon.
Congratulations to Novak Djokovic for a strong finish.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’