Global Celebrities Unite For Yolanda PH Victims: How Can You Help?
By ambika thakur | November 12, 2013 5:39 PM EST
Celebrities worldwide have joined forces to raise funds to support relief efforts for the victims of super typhoon Yolanda in Central Philippines. Myriads of people around the globe want to help but don't know how. Here is a compiled list of trustworthy organizations where one can send help to typhoon victims.
TV Personality and Actress Anne Curtis put a garage sale of her outfits at Market! Market!, one of the malls in the Philippines, where earnings of which amounting to P370,000 will be sent through World Vision for the victims in Tacloban.
"What I did today was nowhere near enough. So much more has to be done to help," Anne told her over six million Twitter and Instagram followers.
On the same path, Julia Montes sold some of her dresses to raise money for the victims.
Megastar Sharon Cuneta has reportedly donated some Php 10 million as financial assistance.
"@AboitizFDN please expect a check of Php 5 million from me tomorrow. The other Php 5 million plus, please expect tomorrow as well, @alagangkapatid. God bless VISAYAS. #BangonVisayas," she tweeted.
Singer Martin Nievera, for his part, told The STAR that he will organize a concert with the three big networks to gather funds for relief efforts for the victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda.
"When Ondoy happened, I was in the U.S. and I solicited donations from Fil-Ams and mounted concerts for the benefit of the victims. Now that I'm here, I'm willing to spearhead concerts with Channel 7, Channel 5, ABS-CBN, all in the pursuit of helping our hapless kababayans. When a calamity like this magnitude strikes, I believe wala dapat Kapamilya, Kapatid, Kapuso (no more rivalry among stations), all of us should be united," Nievera said.
Piolo Pascual, who was also in attendance at the Ayala Mall event, said he and his family would make some personal donation to the victims.
"My heart goes out to the victims, I will help in any way. I will make a donation," the actor said.
Ariella Arida, who won Miss Universe 2013 third runner-up, will lead volunteers of the relief efforts of Bb. Pilipinas Charities, Inc., which is making an initial Php 1 million donation.
Among other stars who took to social media to bring together their fans to help included the star couple Dingdong Dantes and Marian Rivera (who are organizing a benefit run) Angel Locsin (supporting Philippine Red Cross and KC Concepcion for UN's World Food Programme) and Daniel Padilla, the son of actress Karla Estrada, who is from Tacloban.
Yolanda also impacted Shaina Magdayao who shared on her Instagram the predicament - no communication lines, deficiency of basic needs and her suffering relatives in Tacloban, asking prayers for her father and brother-in-law "that they will be able to rescue lola, my nephew and uncles safely and successfully."
"I pray for all our kababayans, especially at this time. May God clothe them with his strength and protection," she posted on Instagram.
In this testing time, more global celebrities are expressing their cordial sympathies to Yolanda victims.
"Please keep Filipinos in your prayers! I was just there and this truly breaks my heart," the superstar songstress tweeted.
Earlier Tom Cruise, Jessica Sanchez, Kevin Bacon, Korean Drama Actor Lee Minho have all sent messages of condolences and heartfelt sympathies for the victims of Yolanda.
On10 Nov 13 World Food Programme tweeted:
— World Food Programme (@WFP) November 10, 2013
As celebrities are helping so we should all join the forces to support humanity in this time of world's biggest catastrophe.
But before you donate either your time or money, check the organization's credentials at the Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org/), which evaluates the financial health and efficiency of more than 5,500 organizations, or at GuideStar (www.guidestar.org), which gathers and distributes information about every single IRS-registered non-profit organization. As scammers are always ready to make profits out of disasters.
The International Rescue Committee is sending teams to assist in the Philippines.Their website is here.
Doctors Without Borders. Their website is here.
The International Committee of the Red Cross. Their website is here.
The International Medical Corps' Emergency Response Fund. Their website is here.
Save The Children. Their website is here.
Mercy Corps .Their website is here.
The Give Foundation is collecting donations from U.S. wireless subscribers, who can text AID to 80108 to give a $10 donation to the organization's Philippines Typhoon Disaster Relief Fund. Charges will appear on the user's wireless bill or will be deducted from a prepaid balance. Text STOP to 80108 to stop or HELP for assistance. Learn more about their donation system here.
World Vision. Their website is here.
The American Jewish World Service. Their website is here.
The Helping Hand for Relief and Development organization. Their website is here.
GlobalGiving. Their website is here.
There are also many clearing houses for information on the numerous organizations providing assistance to Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts. One of the largest is InterAction. Their website is here.
Please share more so that maximum possible funds could be reached to support relief efforts for the victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda in Central Philippines could be reached.
You may also like to read more:
Jax Cote , Devina Dediva And Yolanda: Philippines Always Stood The Test Of Time. Read HERE
Donaire, Arida Brought Smile Amid Catastrophe While Jax Cote Dubbed As New "Racist Queen" [Videos] Read HERE
Jax Cote Apologized After Posting Negative Comments Against Filipinos On Super Typhoon Yolanda
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles