Gabrielle Union Talks About Being Rejected for 'Scandal' but No Comment on BF Dwyane Wade's Fight with Kevin Durant
By Janice Somosot | November 11, 2013 12:23 PM EST
Gabrielle Union reportedly auditioned for the role of Olivia Pope in the TV show "Scandal" created by Shonda Rhimes ("Grey's Anatomy"). Unfortunately, she was rejected in favor of another actress, Kerry Washington. Union candidly talks about it on the Dec. 2013 issue of ESSENCE Magazine. But, when it comes to boyfriend and NBA Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade's alleged fight with Kevin Durant, she prefers to keep mum on the subject.
Union, who is 41 years old and still stunning has said that she learned a lot from Shonda Rhimes during her audition for "Scandal."
"Going in for 'Scandal,' Shonda [Rhimes] empowered every Black woman who came through her door," Union said to ESSENCE in a Huffington Post report.
"Even if I don't get the next job, or the next five jobs, I don't want to be treated less than how Shonda treated me."
"I was one of the last five or ten to audition...when Kerry got it, I congratulated her. Now after each episode, I'm leading the charge, like Gladiators, stand up! I'm obsessed with the show," she added.
Learn more about Union on the Dec. 2013 issue of ESSENCE Magazine. Her interview includes how she learned to let go of the negativity in her life and appreciate the things that make her happy. Plus, she talks about how she used to be a mean girl before she changed her ways and how Beyonce actually changed her life. The ESSENCE Magazine Dec. 2013 issue will be out on newsstands on Nov. 8, 2013. Make sure to grab a copy of it.
Meanwhile her relationship with Miami Heat basketball player Dwyane Wade is still going strong. But, when TMZ chanced upon her at LAX in California, she wasn't forthcoming about her beau's reported feud on Instagram with Oklahoma City Thunder player Kevin Durant.
Durant reportedly called Wade an overrated player that should not be on the NBA's Top 10 list anymore.
Wade replied about Durant's comment on his Instagram account.
"Kevin Durant said James Harden should replace me in the Top 10... Note to self: Make him respect your place in history...again..." posted Wade on Instagram.
Gabrielle Union may not have gotten the Olivia Pope role because she was rejected for "Scandal," but she still has "Being Mary Jane," which is an original BET series. Also, being NBA Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade's girlfriend isn't such a bad thing either.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin on Kobe Bryant’s Text: He’s 100 Percent Accurate
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Eugenie Bouchard To Conquer Next Era After Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide