Gabrielle Union Talks About Being Rejected for 'Scandal' but No Comment on BF Dwyane Wade's Fight with Kevin Durant
By Janice Somosot | November 11, 2013 12:23 PM EST
Gabrielle Union reportedly auditioned for the role of Olivia Pope in the TV show "Scandal" created by Shonda Rhimes ("Grey's Anatomy"). Unfortunately, she was rejected in favor of another actress, Kerry Washington. Union candidly talks about it on the Dec. 2013 issue of ESSENCE Magazine. But, when it comes to boyfriend and NBA Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade's alleged fight with Kevin Durant, she prefers to keep mum on the subject.
Union, who is 41 years old and still stunning has said that she learned a lot from Shonda Rhimes during her audition for "Scandal."
"Going in for 'Scandal,' Shonda [Rhimes] empowered every Black woman who came through her door," Union said to ESSENCE in a Huffington Post report.
"Even if I don't get the next job, or the next five jobs, I don't want to be treated less than how Shonda treated me."
"I was one of the last five or ten to audition...when Kerry got it, I congratulated her. Now after each episode, I'm leading the charge, like Gladiators, stand up! I'm obsessed with the show," she added.
Learn more about Union on the Dec. 2013 issue of ESSENCE Magazine. Her interview includes how she learned to let go of the negativity in her life and appreciate the things that make her happy. Plus, she talks about how she used to be a mean girl before she changed her ways and how Beyonce actually changed her life. The ESSENCE Magazine Dec. 2013 issue will be out on newsstands on Nov. 8, 2013. Make sure to grab a copy of it.
Meanwhile her relationship with Miami Heat basketball player Dwyane Wade is still going strong. But, when TMZ chanced upon her at LAX in California, she wasn't forthcoming about her beau's reported feud on Instagram with Oklahoma City Thunder player Kevin Durant.
Durant reportedly called Wade an overrated player that should not be on the NBA's Top 10 list anymore.
Wade replied about Durant's comment on his Instagram account.
"Kevin Durant said James Harden should replace me in the Top 10... Note to self: Make him respect your place in history...again..." posted Wade on Instagram.
Gabrielle Union may not have gotten the Olivia Pope role because she was rejected for "Scandal," but she still has "Being Mary Jane," which is an original BET series. Also, being NBA Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade's girlfriend isn't such a bad thing either.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft