Martinez vs Garcia; Donaire vs Darchinyan: Preview
By Mark Wayne Eubank | November 10, 2013 12:59 PM EST
Rocky Martinez will be defending his WBO super featherweight title against Mikey Garcia, while Vic Darchinyan and Nonito Donaire will finally have their rematch, which is long overdue.
Martinez vs Garcia (WBO Super Featherweight Title - 12 Rounds)
The defending champion's last defeat dates back in 2010, when he faced British Ricky Burns, wherein the former was brought to school by the latter.
"I don't think Martinez has looked the same fighter since losing to Ricky Burns three years ago, which is still the only defeat on his thirty fight ledger. He's still a good fighter, and a pugnacious one, but recently his offensive game has become more predictable and his defence, which was never the best, is virtually non-existent," opined badlefthook.com's Dave Oakes.
While Garcia is not of the same level as Burns, he has the advantage in the speed department and is an overall better boxer. Martinez, on the other hand, compensates his deficiencies with toughness.
"Martinez is tough enough that I see him going the distance, though a later stoppage from Garcia wouldn't surprise me one bit either," said bloodyelbow.com's Fraser Coffeen.
Garcia will be the likely winner of this bout, given his edge, but expect a tough fight as both boxers are a no let-up.
Donaire vs Darchinyan (Rematch, 10 Rounds)
"The Filipino Flash" had his career blossomed after defeating "The Raging Bull" in 2007.
Donaire lost his recent bout to Guillermo Rigondeaux and will be looking to get back on track. Lack of motivation on the part of Nonito was to blame as he felt that he had nothing more left to prove, winning all of his fixtures since June 2001 before falling in April 2013.
Donaire is the favourite to win this fight as he is still in his prime, experiencing a seemingly slight bump.
Meanwhile, Darchinyan is making his last push, being at the twilight of his career, against the person who he handed "the" big-break.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Believes Wilshere's Performance Against City Not Enough For Man Utd Legend Paul Scholes
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date