Martinez vs Garcia; Donaire vs Darchinyan: Preview
By Mark Wayne Eubank | November 10, 2013 12:59 PM EST
Rocky Martinez will be defending his WBO super featherweight title against Mikey Garcia, while Vic Darchinyan and Nonito Donaire will finally have their rematch, which is long overdue.
Martinez vs Garcia (WBO Super Featherweight Title - 12 Rounds)
The defending champion's last defeat dates back in 2010, when he faced British Ricky Burns, wherein the former was brought to school by the latter.
"I don't think Martinez has looked the same fighter since losing to Ricky Burns three years ago, which is still the only defeat on his thirty fight ledger. He's still a good fighter, and a pugnacious one, but recently his offensive game has become more predictable and his defence, which was never the best, is virtually non-existent," opined badlefthook.com's Dave Oakes.
While Garcia is not of the same level as Burns, he has the advantage in the speed department and is an overall better boxer. Martinez, on the other hand, compensates his deficiencies with toughness.
"Martinez is tough enough that I see him going the distance, though a later stoppage from Garcia wouldn't surprise me one bit either," said bloodyelbow.com's Fraser Coffeen.
Garcia will be the likely winner of this bout, given his edge, but expect a tough fight as both boxers are a no let-up.
Donaire vs Darchinyan (Rematch, 10 Rounds)
"The Filipino Flash" had his career blossomed after defeating "The Raging Bull" in 2007.
Donaire lost his recent bout to Guillermo Rigondeaux and will be looking to get back on track. Lack of motivation on the part of Nonito was to blame as he felt that he had nothing more left to prove, winning all of his fixtures since June 2001 before falling in April 2013.
Donaire is the favourite to win this fight as he is still in his prime, experiencing a seemingly slight bump.
Meanwhile, Darchinyan is making his last push, being at the twilight of his career, against the person who he handed "the" big-break.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People