Donaire vs Darchinyan: Desperate Donaire Takes the Easy Way Out
By Mark Wayne Eubank | November 9, 2013 1:01 PM EST
After suffering a shocking defeat to Guillermo Rigondeaux, Nonito Donaire, aged 30, clung on to desperate measures by taking on the 37 year-old Vic Darchinyan on November 9.
Nonito Donaire was taken to school by Rigondeaux, using his right hook and left hand, frustrating the former, which led to a unanimous decision in favour of Rigondeaux.
As far as fight fans' perspective is concerned, the more logical decision could have been was to ask for a Rigondeaux rematch. Instead, "The Filipino Flash" went for a more viable option in Darchinyan.
Of course Donaire we all heard Donaire crying out for a rematch after the defeat. But, wasn't that just an act that would protect the only thing that is left of him after getting a beating? His ego.
"I thought I could catch him with one punch and fell in love with that," was Donaire's excuse as quoted in espn.go.com after his loss to Rigondeaux.
Just to refresh your memories, Nonito handed Darchinyan, who was at the peak of his career, his first defeat in 2007. He was caught by the "Filipino Flash's" signature left-hook in the 5th round.
From then on, Donaire rose to prominence, beating the likes of Fernando Montiel and Oscar Narvaez in the process.
On the other hand, father time is catching up with the Armenian Darchinyan, who is way past his prime and does not look as sharp, losing two of his previous four fights to Anselmo Moreno and Shinsuke Yamanaka.
He may have won his recent two fights, but it was virtually against unknown fighters.
In the final analysis, Donaire's choice of taking on Darchinyan seems to be a wise for his career, that is, to immediately get back on the radar should he come up with a win, which, at this point, seems certain.
However, boxing fans are no longer naïve these days and in fact has gotten more intelligent, which means that even if "The Filipino Flash" shows total domination on the ring, they will still be left unimpressed and discontented.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop