Descendants Seek US Soldiers' Remains From Arunachal Pradesh
By Nagesh Narayana | November 9, 2013 5:38 AM EST
Gary Zaetz, 59, was a disappointed man as Indian ambassador Nirupama Rao was leaving Washington DC unaccomplished in helping him trace the remains of his uncle killed in Arunachal Pradesh during World War Two.
First Lt. Irwin Zaetz, 26, known as Zipper, was piloting a World War II B-24 bomber nicknamed "Hot As Hell" that went down untraceable in January 1944, with seven others. It was air-lifting war supplies from India over the Himalayan peaks, known as the Hump, to Chinese soldiers.
The remains, which were reportedly found in 2007 at a mountainside in Arunachal Pradesh by an Arizona mountaineer Clayton Kuhles, rekindled the hopes of Gary Zaetz to bring them back from Arunachal Pradesh.
A native of Cary, N.C., Zaetz sought the help of both the American government and the Indian embassy in Washington DC, but in vain.
He was upset that Indian Ambassador Nirupama Rao too had failed to accomplish the task. "For many US families, Ambassador Rao won't be missed," he said.
For the families of 400 American aviators whose remains still lie "unburied" in the mountains of Arunachal Pradesh, bordering China. "Ms. Rao's tenure was nothing less than a bitter disappointment," he said.
"Her focus was almost completely on economic relations, ignoring India's expressed commitments to the US to aid in the recovery of these heroes' remains, as well as India's obligations under international humanitarian law," he complained.
Now that new ambassador S.Jaishankar is taking over as Indian envoy in Washington DC after his recent successful stint in China, Zaetz is hopeful that things may begin to move again.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pope To Demote Conservative Cardinal – A Revolution, Decapitation, Describes Vatican Critic
- End Times Prophecy Lurking W/ WW3 Nuclear Threat, Iraq Crisis And Ebola
- Sydney Public Beheadings Confirmed By PM Tony Abbott
- Pope Francis Ultimate Target By Conservative Cardinals
- Are You There, Archbishop Welby Asks God
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best