NBA: Golden State Warriors vs. San Antonio Spurs Preview
By Jonar Sabilano | November 7, 2013 4:33 PM EST
Living up to their pre-season billing as one of the favorites in the Western Conference, the Golden State Warriors have simply been golden early in the 2013-14 season. Kicking off the season with a 94-125 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers, they quickly bounced back from a loss against the Clippers and have won three straight, including the first two games in a four-game day road trip. Along the way, they snapped the Philadelphia 76ers' 3-0 start and dealt the Minnesota Timberwolves their second loss of the season, officially earning the title "NBA's hottest team".
Led by guard Stephen Curry, veteran swingman Andre Iguodala and guard Klay Thompson, the Warriors are one of the best scoring teams in the NBA. What has been left unnoticed, though, is that in all of their wins, they have kept their opponents to just 91 points while scoring 110 of their own -- defensive numbers that one can expect from, say, the Memphis Grizzlies, but not from the Warriors.
That defense will be tested against the San Antonio Spurs, which also have a 4-1 record. In contrast to the Warriors, the Spurs do not put up very gaudy scoring numbers; in fact, they scored more in their only loss (105 against the Portland Trail Blazers) than in any of their wins. But if there's one team that can gun with the Warriors, the Spurs are it. Not only do they have one of the best point guards in the planet in Tony Parker, they also have a battery of wing players and big men that can run the floor very well.
Against the Suns, that offensive balance was on full display. The Spurs went 29-21 in the first quarter, falling behind ever so slightly by halftime. Then they turned the offense just enough to net them the win in the fourth quarter. For San Antonio, that sort of consistency has been the key for their early-season success.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon