Katy Perry's 'PRISM' Album: Biohazard in Australia - Police
By Janice Somosot | November 7, 2013 12:15 AM EST
Katy Perry's new deluxe edition "PRISM" album, which is ARIA Chart's no. 1 album, has been considered a biological hazard (biohazard) by the biosecurity officers of the Department of Agriculture in Australia.
Perry's album (deluxe edition) reportedly contains a small packet of seeds given away to customers. She hopes that her fans will plant these seeds. Mo matter how noble her intentions are, the Australian government is not taking any chances. A biosecurity inspection of all the copies of Perry's "PRISM" album that will be coming into Australia was ordered.
Fans who have already bought copies of the said album in Australia need not panic. According to news.com.au, the album's production company has assured the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) in Australia that the "PRISM" albums released in the country only contain locally sourced Swan River Daisy seeds, which are harmless.
However, this is not case for the international editions of the "PRISM" albums. These albums will be closely monitored.
"The Australian government has a strong system in place to detect and respond to material of biosecurity concern. This includes the inspection of mail, cargo and baggage," a spokesman of DAFF said in the news.com.au report.
Australia has a strict biosecurity compliance strategy to ensure the safety of the people, animals and plants living in the "Land Down Under."
It monitors the areas of highest risk to the biosecurity of Australia, including:
- routine and random inspections
- targeted campaigns
- routine and random audits
- periodic and specific surveillance
- intelligence gathering and data analysis
- the 1800 hotline
The country's biosecurity structure is divided into different divisions such as:
- Border Compliance Division
- Biosecurity Policy Division
- Biosecurity Food Division
- Biosecurity Plant Division
- Biosecurity Animal Division
- People and Service Delivery Division
This issue falls under the Biosecurity Plant Division, which is managed by First Assistant Secretary Tom Aldred (Switchboard: +61 2 6272 3933). His team includes Assistant Sec. Bill Magee (Plant Biosecurity), Assistant Sec. David Heinrich A/g (Plant Health Policy), Assistant Sec. Louise van Meurs (Plant Import Operations) and Assistant Sec. Kylie Calhoun (Plant Export Operations).
Violators of biosecurity will be warned, sanctioned or suspended and their permits or approvals may be canceled. Goods may be seized and infringement notices (on-the-spot fines) may be issued with criminal prosecution.
Read more on Katy Perry's "Roar" Single Tops ARIA Singles Chart for 8 Weeks (click here)
Read more on Katy Perry 'Roars' at the Sydney Opera House for Aussie Promo of 'PRISM' Album (Click here)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Scientists Advance Understanding of Climate Change With The Help Of IceCube
- First Ever Man-Made Leaf That Could Provide Oxygen During Space Travel: A Breathtaking Leap [Watch Video]
- NASA: Early Earth Likely To Have Been Hit By Giant Asteroids
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Brown Fat Reduces Obesity, Diabetes Risk: Study
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools