10 Cool Google Secrets and Tricks for Better and Faster Search Results
By Janice Somosot | November 6, 2013 7:54 PM EST
Google is an extremely popular search engine that a lot of people use it daily compared to other search engines such as Yahoo! or Bing. It paved the way for quicker and easier research. It's as easy as typing a word on the search bar and clicking on search. After that, just sift through the results to find the information you're looking for. However, not a lot of people know just how amazing Google truly is, in terms of searching for information. In fact, there are a myriad of search tips and tricks that will help users get better and faster search results. Check out the list below for 10 cool Google secrets and tricks.
1. Find free comic books - Who would have thought you could actually read free comic books online using Google? Well, maybe you can already do that by typing in the name of the comic book you are looking for. But, here's a cool way to search for free comic books online. For example, if you are looking for Spider Man comic books, just type in -inurl:htm -inurl:html intitle:"index of" "Last modified" spider-man cbr. Click on the search button and a list of free comic books will be shown.
2. Find music - You can find music from your favorite artists by typing -inurl:(htm|html|php) intitle:"index of" +"last modified" +"parent directory" +description +size +(wma|mp3) "Name of artist." Then click the search tab, and music files available in an Apache directory listing will be displayed by Google in its search results. You can also search for free downloadable music. Just type intitle:index of mp3 + "artist name." Look for other music file formats by replacing "mp3″ with "acc" or "wma."
3. Time zones - To know the local time and time zone of a particular place, just type in the search bar: "time in " Substitute the word "place" with any place you want. For example, if you want to know the time and time zone in Australia, just type in "time in Australia." Click on search and then results will appear on the page.
4. Track flights - Just type in the airline and flight number of the flight you are interested in and then click on search to reveal its arrival and departure times as well as the flight status. This is pretty great for those in a hurry to check out important flights.
5. Earthquakes - Simply type in "earthquake" followed by the city and state or zip code to check out information about recent earthquakes in a specific area. For recent earthquakes around the world, just type "earthquake" in the search box.
6. Calculator - Simply enter the numbers or formula that you want to calculate in the search box, then click on search to display the accurate results.
7. Convert Units - You can also use Google to convert units. For example, type "Convert $20 to British Pounds" and you'll get the most up to date conversion rates. It is also applicable for converting degrees Fahrenheit to Celsius, Seconds to hours etc.
8. Weather - Get up to date weather information by typing "weather" followed by your zip code.
9. Search for similar subjects - For example, you want to find artists that have a similar sound to The Beatles, just type in "reminds me of The Beatles," click search and get a list of artists that sound like them.
10. Package Tracking - Track packages by typing the tracking number of your package directly into the search box. The search results will include quick links to easily track the status of your package.
Some people are fine with just typing a word or two of the subject that they are looking for in Google. But, it could show a lot of search results and it will be time-consuming to search for information that you are looking for in those search results. Why not try these 10 cool Google secrets and tricks for better and faster search results? It will save time, energy, money and yes, sanity. Try it now and see the difference it makes.
Read more on the 'Do a Barrel Roll' Trick: Google Still Spinning Around in 2013! [VIDEOS]. Click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail: