The Aeromobil 2.5 Flying Car Takes Flight [VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | November 5, 2013 2:50 PM EST
The Aeromobil 2.5 flying car finally takes flight! This could be the car to minimize if not end traffic jams, road accidents and tardiness. We can now fly like The Jetsons or Harry Potter and Ron Weasley!
The Aeromobil combines the aspects of planes and automobiles to make a hybrid vehicle that can take the idea of flying cars from dreams into reality. Even if it is designed to have wings like an airplane, it conveniently fits into a standard parking space because the wings are collapsible. And just like any car, its tank can be refilled at any gasoline station.
The Aeromobil 2.5 is the current version of the company's flying car. It is a tested pre-prototype of the Aeromobil 3.0 prototype, an ultra-light, faster version that can fit a driver and a passenger, and is planned for 2014.
It is designed by Štefan Klein, Aeromobil's chief designer and co-founder. Klein's co-founder Juraj Vaculik, is also the CEO. Aside from being the CEO, Vaculik is an ad-man and an angel investor.
The Aeromobil started designing the flying car in 1990. From 1990 to 1994, it developed the first version, the Aeromobil 1.0 (Click here to see photo). Then, from 1995 to 2010, a second version was created, the Aeromobil 2.0 (Click here to see photo).
The Aeromobil prototype 2.0 was presented at the AERO-EXPO in Friedrichshafen, Germany in Apr 2007. In Oct. 2009, it was shown at the Council of European Aeroespace Societies (CEAS) 2009 European Air and Space Conference in Manchester, UK. In Sept. 2010, it was exhibited at the 27th International Council of Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS) Congress in Nice, France. In Oct. 2011, it was presented at the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Aerotech in Toulouse, France. And in April 2012, it was showcased at the Technology, Entertainment, Design (TEDx) in Bratislava, Slovakia.
Meanwhile, the Aeromobil 2.5 was designed in 2010 and was perfected in 2013. (Click here to see photo). It can only fit one person. The Aeromobil 2.5 prototype was shown at the SAE Aerotech in Montreal, Canada in Sept. 2013.
"We got a positive feedback from several experts in avionics, which appreciated design and the technical solution of the process of transformation," said AeroMobil spokesperson Tatiana Veber in a Daily Mail UK report.
The Aeromobil 3.0 is a two-seater vehicle which is meant to be showcased in 2014. (Click here to see photo).
AEROMOBIL 3.0 SPECIFICATIONS:
- ENGINE: Rotax 912
- CONSTRUCTION: Steel Framework and Carbon Coating
- EMPTY WEIGHT: 450 kg (992 lbs)
- CAPACITY: 2 persons
- TOP SPEED: 160 km/h and more (100 mph and more)
- RANGE: 500 KM (310 miles)
- FUEL CONSUMPTION: 7.51/100 km
- DIMENSIONS: Width - 1600 mm, Length - 6000 mm
- WINGS: Collapsible
- TOP SPEED: 200 km/h and more (124 mph and more)
- MIN. SPEED: 60 km/h (40 mph)
- TAKE-OFF SPEED: 130 km/h (90 mph)
- RANGE: 700 km (430 miles)
- FUEL CONSUMPTION: 15 l/h
- DIMENSIONS: Width - 8200 mm, Length - 6000 mm
Even if the Aeromobil 2.5 flying car has already taken flight, there are no plans for mass-production, according to Yahoo! News. Still, this is very exciting news. Now, people can drive and fly! Maybe one day we can get to ride this flying car. Henry Ford once envisioned a "combination airplane and motorcar" in 1940. Several years after, his vision becomes a reality, thanks to Aeromobil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast