Manny Pacquiao Insists He’s too Young to Retire from Boxing (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 5, 2013 9:49 AM EST
Eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao insisted on Monday that he is not a has been or over the hill in his boxing career. Stressing that he is not ready to hand his gloves despite two heartbreaking losses in the ring, Pacquiao told HBO's Max Kellerman he is too young to retire.
"My speed and power are still there ... I believe that I can prove to the people that I can still fight, and that my boxing career is not done yet."
He plans to prove this in his Nov 24 bout in Macau against American boxer Brandon Rios in a welterweight match. Because of his loss to American boxer Timothy Bradley in June 2012 and to Juan Manuel Marquez in December 2012, some boxing enthusiasts had written Manny off, while sports writers has returned the title of pound-for-pound king to Floyd Mayweather Jr who has no losses yet.
"The most important thing is that I want to get back the trust and confidence of the fans ... I have a 100% desire to continue my boxing career. I'm not old. I'm still young," he added.
"My time is not yet over. So this generation is still my generation," the 34-year-old boxer from General Santos City and current representative of Sarangani Province said.
However, Rios had warned the Pacquiao camp not to write him off, saying, "I've got to go in there and I gotta retire you. I've got to retire Manny Pacquiao because I'm the next star."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon