Manny Pacquiao Insists He’s too Young to Retire from Boxing (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 5, 2013 9:49 AM EST
Eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao insisted on Monday that he is not a has been or over the hill in his boxing career. Stressing that he is not ready to hand his gloves despite two heartbreaking losses in the ring, Pacquiao told HBO's Max Kellerman he is too young to retire.
"My speed and power are still there ... I believe that I can prove to the people that I can still fight, and that my boxing career is not done yet."
He plans to prove this in his Nov 24 bout in Macau against American boxer Brandon Rios in a welterweight match. Because of his loss to American boxer Timothy Bradley in June 2012 and to Juan Manuel Marquez in December 2012, some boxing enthusiasts had written Manny off, while sports writers has returned the title of pound-for-pound king to Floyd Mayweather Jr who has no losses yet.
"The most important thing is that I want to get back the trust and confidence of the fans ... I have a 100% desire to continue my boxing career. I'm not old. I'm still young," he added.
"My time is not yet over. So this generation is still my generation," the 34-year-old boxer from General Santos City and current representative of Sarangani Province said.
However, Rios had warned the Pacquiao camp not to write him off, saying, "I've got to go in there and I gotta retire you. I've got to retire Manny Pacquiao because I'm the next star."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch