Gold Miners Not Making It Easy on Investors
By Eric McWhinnie | November 5, 2013 5:28 AM EST
Hedge fund manager Hugh Hendry once said: “There’s no rationale for owning a gold mining equity. It’s as close as you get to insanity. The risk premium goes up as the gold price goes up. There is no valuation argument that protects you against the risk of confiscation.” While most investors have yet to face confiscation, it has been a brutal year for shareholders.
The world’s largest gold producer recently reminded investors just how much can go wrong in the mining industry. Barrick Gold (
Follow Eric on Twitter @Mr_Eric_WSCS
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’