‘Sherlock’ Season 3: Terrifying New Villain Introduced in ‘The Empty Hearse’
By Anshu Shrivastava | November 4, 2013 3:56 PM EST
In the second season of "Sherlock," Professor Moriarty, the criminal mastermind, met his ultimate end. "Sherlock" Season 3 will introduce a new villain that Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) must outsmart.
Charles Augustus Magnussen, played by Lars Mikkelsen, will be the nemesis in the third season of "Sherlock."
Charles Augustus Magnussen is expected to be more sinister than Professor Moriarty. Steven Moffat, co-writer of "Sherlock," said to Radio Times that the new nemesis is "terrifying." He did not provide much information about the new villain, but said that "you'll know the angle we've taken on it within seconds of it beginning..."
Charles Augustus Magnussen is loosely based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's villain, "Charles Augustus Milverton." In Sir Doyle's "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton," Sherlock Holmes says to Watson: "He is the king of all the blackmailers. Heaven help the man, and still more the woman, whose secret and reputation and secret come into the power of Milverton. With a smiling face and a heart of marble, he will squeeze and squeeze until he has drained them dry."
Moffat said that they have taken the character from "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton." However, BBC's "Sherlock" draws from the original source and puts its own spin on "Sherlock Holmes" stories and characters. Likewise, the character of Charles Augustus Magnussen will not be exactly like Charles Augustus Milverton.
"We've drawn from that story (The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton] but, as ever with our show, what we drew and how we do it and how we find equivalences, [you'll have to wait and see]," Moffat said to Radio Times. "Sometimes, as you know, we flip things and make them the other way round. We do all those things."
The first episode of "Sherlock" Season 3 is "The Empty Hearse." It is written by Mark Gatiss and directed by Jeremy Lovering. Lovering said to Click "I think what Sherlock did was put me back in that space where it was crafting something that was already written, the characters were created by Benedict, Martin, Mark, Steven and obviously Conan Doyle. So they had the characters pretty well wrapped up and Mark wrote the script that I did and so the script is tight and there's a precedent."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored