‘Sherlock’ Season 3: Terrifying New Villain Introduced in ‘The Empty Hearse’
By Anshu Shrivastava | November 4, 2013 3:56 PM EST
In the second season of "Sherlock," Professor Moriarty, the criminal mastermind, met his ultimate end. "Sherlock" Season 3 will introduce a new villain that Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) must outsmart.
Charles Augustus Magnussen, played by Lars Mikkelsen, will be the nemesis in the third season of "Sherlock."
Charles Augustus Magnussen is expected to be more sinister than Professor Moriarty. Steven Moffat, co-writer of "Sherlock," said to Radio Times that the new nemesis is "terrifying." He did not provide much information about the new villain, but said that "you'll know the angle we've taken on it within seconds of it beginning..."
Charles Augustus Magnussen is loosely based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's villain, "Charles Augustus Milverton." In Sir Doyle's "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton," Sherlock Holmes says to Watson: "He is the king of all the blackmailers. Heaven help the man, and still more the woman, whose secret and reputation and secret come into the power of Milverton. With a smiling face and a heart of marble, he will squeeze and squeeze until he has drained them dry."
Moffat said that they have taken the character from "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton." However, BBC's "Sherlock" draws from the original source and puts its own spin on "Sherlock Holmes" stories and characters. Likewise, the character of Charles Augustus Magnussen will not be exactly like Charles Augustus Milverton.
"We've drawn from that story (The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton] but, as ever with our show, what we drew and how we do it and how we find equivalences, [you'll have to wait and see]," Moffat said to Radio Times. "Sometimes, as you know, we flip things and make them the other way round. We do all those things."
The first episode of "Sherlock" Season 3 is "The Empty Hearse." It is written by Mark Gatiss and directed by Jeremy Lovering. Lovering said to Click "I think what Sherlock did was put me back in that space where it was crafting something that was already written, the characters were created by Benedict, Martin, Mark, Steven and obviously Conan Doyle. So they had the characters pretty well wrapped up and Mark wrote the script that I did and so the script is tight and there's a precedent."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS