Grigor Dimitrov Shares His Memorable Matches, Fiancee Maria Sharapova
By Rachelle Corpuz | November 4, 2013 2:10 PM EST
Bulgarian Tennis Player Grigor Dimitrov, who currently ranks no. 22 in the world, opened up to the Daily Mail UK about his best and worst matches, his personal life with superstar athlete girlfriend, Maria Sharapova, and many more.
At 22nd spot in the world rankings, Dimitrov is in all-time career-high. He achieved it in October 2013, after winning his first-ever Association of Tennis Professionals singles title at the Stockholm Open. He is the most triumphant Bulgarian player ever to play in the sports of tennis.
The Daily Mail UK asked Dimitrov the best and worst tennis matches he has ever played. "The greatest match I have ever played was when I beat Novak Djokovic earlier in 2013 during the second round in Madrid," he said. "The worst one was still against Novak in the third round of the French Open," he added.
Dimitrov's victory against Novak Djokovic at the Mutua Madrid Open was recorded as the biggest win in the career of an Bulgarian athlete. He has faced Djokovic many times in different tournaments.
The athlete told the Daily Mail UK how he has developed great friendship with Dimitry Tursunov, Robert Lindstedth and Michael Llodra, but stated that he has a good relationship with everyone. "I believe that all of us are friendly to each other. Overall, I have an excellent relationship with everyone," he noted.
Dimitrov also shared how Maria Sharapova's 2004 Wimbledon victory was his most memorable moment in watching the sport. "My girlfriend Maria Sharapova winning the 2004 Wimbledon at 17 was the most memorable moment in watching a sports game, and it was absolutely an incredible effort," he said.
Dimitrov and Sharapova were first rumored dating in the latter part of 2012. They have been going strong ever since.
Grigor Dimitrov is set to have a match against Juan Martin del Potro Thursday in the third round of the 2013 Paris Masters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June