Apple Admits Battery Bug on iPhone 5S; 13 Top Battery Tips and Tricks Exposed
By Ryan Inoyori | November 4, 2013 2:07 PM EST
Apple acknowledged the battery issue on iPhone 5S devices which affects overall battery life and claimed it as a manufacturing issue. But on the bright side, there are some software tips to improve battery life and even save it against data draining bugs.
Apple on Battery Issue
"We recently discovered a manufacturing issue affecting a very limited number of iPhone 5S devices that could cause the battery to take longer to charge or result in reduced battery life. We are reaching out to customers with affected phones and will provide them with a replacement phone," according to Apple, as quoted by PC Mag.
Some posts from customers on the Apple Forums complained regarding battery life, but they were not confirmed among sufferers of the particular manufacturing fault Apple claims.
Tips and Tricks for Battery and Data Usage
Regardless if you own a faulty iPhone 5S or not, these tips and tricks are still useful to extend battery life and save yourself from the reported data-draining bugs. The following advices are based on iOS 7 and iPhone 5 and may help your iPhone 5S phone:
1. Turn off Background App Updates
Auto updating of applications can drain the device's battery, and you can set it manually to save power. Go to "Updates > iTunes & App Store > Updates > Turn off Automatic Updates."
2. Switch off Background Refreshing
Multi-tasking has a downside; it allows running of tasks in the background which most of the time is unknown to owners. To disable automatic background refresh, go to "Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Disable apps you don't need for refreshing."
3. Push Notifications
Push Notifications eat more power than you think, but there is a way to prevent this from happening. Go to "Settings > Notification Centre > Include Section> Toggling Speer."
4. Set Data Fetching
Instead of Push Notifications, you can control specific data fetching to apps such as email to save both power and data usage. Go to "Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendar > Fetch New Data > Set the time interval."
5. Quite Siri
Siri can consume some power on your battery, and if you are not dependent on her functionality, turn her off. Go to "Settings > General > Siri > Turn off Raise to Speak."
6. Minimise Parallax
Parallax is an amazing feature but may drain battery overtime. So, if you don't want to use this feature anymore, go to "Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion to On."
7. Disabling Location Services
Certain apps such as Google Maps and Facebook use Location Services or GPS to share location. However, location services can drain a lot of power within a day. Go to "Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Disable specific apps."
8. Switch of 4G Connectivity
If you are not using 4G connection for data usage, disable the network type to save more power. Go to "Settings > Cellular > Disable LTE/4G."
9. Modify Spotlight
iOS 7 features easy searching inside your device for music, videos and other files, and Spotlight can be simply accessed by swiping down from the home screen. However, this feature drains a lot of power due to the indexing needed to search files. Go to "Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Choose files which requires indexing."
10. Basic Battery Saving
Disable wireless connectivity such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and others which are not in use and turn off the auto-brightness control which runs continuously to check for light conditions.
Advises from iPhone 5
1. The battery bug can be fixed by resetting the phone, according to some Apple users. Create a backup first of all your data files and then select "Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Settings." This advice may extend battery life on the iPhone 5S.
2. Mobile Data Bug may be experienced by some owners of any iPhone which can be maddening if you are paying beyond your budget. Manage syncing apps, configure data fetching and disable anything else which syncs through the Internet.
3. Restart the iPhone whenever it is fully charged to free up memory and refresh everything on your device. Refreshing releases memory clogs which can be helpful for the battery.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More