Alicia Ann Lynch: Boston Marathon Bombing Halloween Costume Draws Death Threats; Social Media User Gets Fired - Hoax or Fact?
By Arlene Paredes | November 4, 2013 4:32 AM EST
Alicia Ann Lynch is the latest name to draw death threats on Twitter over a joke, which, according to many social media users, was not funny. Alicia posted photos of herself in a Boston marathon bombing Halloween costume. Is the news some attention grabbing hoax or for real?
The proliferating marathon bombing Halloween costume (click here to see the photo) shows a smiling young lady in a blue marathon shirt marked 739. Her arms and legs are painted with fake blood, making some people shudder over the memory of the Boston tragedy.
"Totally saw this costume last night. RT A woman who dressed up as a Boston bombing victim," Twitter user @chachkevitch posted. The RT is understood to be "retweet," for the others to react or simply retweet the photo. Many others have done the same.
The latest developments indicate Alicia's parents and she herself have received death threats over the joke. Screen captures of her Halloween photo are widespread on Twitter and Instagram, and it remains visible even after she has cancelled her social media accounts.
"Plz stop with the death threats towards my parents. They did nothing wrong. I was the one in the wrong and I am paying for being insensitive," Alicia Ann Lynch was quoted as saying in a screen capture report. She has also reportedly tweeted about having lost her job over the incident.
"Girl Who Wore Boston Marathon Bombing Victim Costume Is Lowest Form Of Life Possible," tweets @txsunshinegrl04.
"To the girl that thought it would be a good idea to dress up in a marathon bombing victim costume, I hope you get hit by a train," tweets @ajorge4793.
The controversial Halloween photo may have sparked some very angry remarks, but others have shown they can react without angry words and imply disgust at the same time. Some just have to point out one word to describe the "bombing victim" costume.
"It really disturbs me that people would find a marathon bombing victim halloween costume funny, clever or appropriate," tweets @TiarraNorcross.
"This is disgusting. It's not 'too soon,' its WRONG," tweets @SashaWithLuv.
Social media users often fail to separate the act from the doer, as others believe there should be no separation at all. However, there are others who care more about pointing out what is wrong, instead of giving people a taste of their own (perceived) offence.
The Halloween photo, if not displayed in Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, is linked - permanently - in some users image host accounts.
There's a lesson for social media users here. Think twice before you post. This is not the first mistake ever made on Twitter or anywhere online. But there has been a pattern, and some people are not too forgiving. This Twitter user (@TheTwidster) who claims to be a Bostonian, has a message for Alicia Ann Lynch:
"As a Bostonian, I forgive you. I am glad that you have not killed yourself, and I seriously hope you learned your lesson."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid