The last time the Miami Heat went under the 0.500 win-loss record was way back in the 2010-11 season. The defending champions are 1-2 so far through three games and a match-up with the winless Washington Wizards might get them back on track to start the 2013-14 NBA regular season.
The Heat started the season in style with a 107-95 drubbing of East rivals Chicago Bulls in their season opener but has suffered back-to-back road losses against the lowly Philadelphia 76ers (114-110) and Brooklyn Nets (101-100).
Right back at the comforts of home in Miami, the Heat face a Wizards squad which also is in a bad start after losing their first two games versus the Detroit Pistons (113-102) and the 76ers (109-102).
Five players actually average double-figure scoring for the Wizards, led by star guard John Wall (23.0 PPG) and Trevor Ariza (20.0 PPG). Wall is also the team leader in assists (8.5 APG), and Ariza has been eating up the boards (12.0 RPG).
But it is Washington's defense that has been the main culprit for the pair of losses. They gave up a combined 222 points—or 111.0 OPPG—in the first two games, the most given up among 30 teams this early in the season. The Wizards also allowed their opponents to shoot more than 50 per cent from the field both times.
Miami's defense isn't at their usual championship level too. They allow opponents to shoot 48.1 per cent from the field (3rd worst in the league) and 103.3 PPG (8th worst).
The usual suspects are leading the charge in Miami. LeBron James leads the team scoring at 22.7 PPG, followed by Chris Bosh (18.3 PPG) and Dwyane Wade (17.0 PPG). Ray Allen (14.0 PPG) and Mario Chalmers (13.7 PPG) have also helped in the scoring department.
The Heat have won three straight games versus the Wizards, and they also have covered the spread in those games. The last Washington win came in December 2012 when the Wizards upset Miami as 10-point underdogs.
Betting Against the Spread (ATS)
Washington Wizards Trends
- Wizards are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games
- Wizards are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games vs. East teams
- Wizards are 1-8 ATS in their last 9 games on the road
- Wizards are 11-5 ATS in their last 16 games in Miami
- The road team is 24-9-1 in the last 34 games between WAS-MIA
Miami Heat Trends
- Heat are 3-0 ATS in their last 3 games vs. Washington
- Heat are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games vs. NBA Southeast division teams
- Heat are 12-2 ATS in their last 14 games vs. teams with losing records
- Heat are 20-8 ATS in their last 28 games after a loss
- Heat are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games at home
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Drooling Guys, Conscious Girls, Naughty Jokes on Twitter [SEE PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Best Pictures From The Sexiest Show Ever [ SEE PHOTOS/VIDEOS]
- Kristen Stewart Strips Down On Set [PHOTOS/VIDEOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Where to Watch on TV, Time, Live Streaming Link [PHOTOS]