YouTube Sets Sights on MTV With New Video Music Awards; Where to Watch Live [PHOTOS]
By arjun varma | November 2, 2013 9:32 PM EST
For years MTV has dazzled viewers across the globe with its hip, happening and uber-cool Video Music Awards show. It has the coolest hosts, funniest gags and awesome live performances. But with the inaugural YouTube Music Awards all set to roll on 3 November 2013, the future of the acclaimed MTV property is looking more uncertain. You can catch the awards show live at 11pm GMT, here: http://www.youtube.com/user/YouTube
Veteran awards show producer Salli Frattini, in an interview with Grammy, says: “This is not your traditional awards show. It's really a night of making things. We're trying to celebrate music in a unique way by making videos all night long of these performances. We're breaking the format. It's going to be much looser, a lot less formal. It's going to be a very cool event, with a festival vibe and very different kinds of sets than you would normally see.” Frattini is the executive producer of the YouTube Music Awards and has previously spent 19 years at MTV.
Along with Frattini’s Sunset Lane Entertainment, Vice Media will also be serving as executive producer on the show. Spike Jonze (director of classic music videos like the Beastie Boys’ Sabotage and Weezer’s Buddy Holly) is the creative director of the show and he’s aiming for a more casual and guerilla style execution.
“None of us have done anything live before or an awards show -- in a way we’re all like amateurs on YouTube ourselves, making our first video. So even if it’s messy, it’ll be live,” Jonze told Billboardbiz.
The first YouTube Music Awards will feature performances by Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, Eminem and more, and will be live-streamed on YouTube. The event will also feature musicians who have made their mark through online videos, such as the violinist Lindsey Stirling (417 million views) and Cdza, a group that performs comedy covers and medleys (20 million views).
Nominees for the awards are a mixed bag of videos that are super-popular on YouTube. Winners will be chosen by popular vote from YouTube users around the world.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Kaley Cuoco Says ‘Season 8 Here We Come’ In Instagram Video, Sports Pixie Haircut
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop