YouTube Sets Sights on MTV With New Video Music Awards; Where to Watch Live [PHOTOS]
By arjun varma | November 2, 2013 9:32 PM EST
For years MTV has dazzled viewers across the globe with its hip, happening and uber-cool Video Music Awards show. It has the coolest hosts, funniest gags and awesome live performances. But with the inaugural YouTube Music Awards all set to roll on 3 November 2013, the future of the acclaimed MTV property is looking more uncertain. You can catch the awards show live at 11pm GMT, here: http://www.youtube.com/user/YouTube
Veteran awards show producer Salli Frattini, in an interview with Grammy, says: “This is not your traditional awards show. It's really a night of making things. We're trying to celebrate music in a unique way by making videos all night long of these performances. We're breaking the format. It's going to be much looser, a lot less formal. It's going to be a very cool event, with a festival vibe and very different kinds of sets than you would normally see.” Frattini is the executive producer of the YouTube Music Awards and has previously spent 19 years at MTV.
Along with Frattini’s Sunset Lane Entertainment, Vice Media will also be serving as executive producer on the show. Spike Jonze (director of classic music videos like the Beastie Boys’ Sabotage and Weezer’s Buddy Holly) is the creative director of the show and he’s aiming for a more casual and guerilla style execution.
“None of us have done anything live before or an awards show -- in a way we’re all like amateurs on YouTube ourselves, making our first video. So even if it’s messy, it’ll be live,” Jonze told Billboardbiz.
The first YouTube Music Awards will feature performances by Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, Eminem and more, and will be live-streamed on YouTube. The event will also feature musicians who have made their mark through online videos, such as the violinist Lindsey Stirling (417 million views) and Cdza, a group that performs comedy covers and medleys (20 million views).
Nominees for the awards are a mixed bag of videos that are super-popular on YouTube. Winners will be chosen by popular vote from YouTube users around the world.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence