The Toronto Raptors took care of the boards and business against the lowly Boston Celtics in their NBA season debut. They need to do more of the same when they visit the Hawks Friday night at the Philips Arena in Atlanta.
Behind excellent effort from big men Jonas Valanciunas (11 rebounds) and newcomer Tyler Hansbrough (12 rebounds), the Raptors held a 48-33 rebounding edge in their 93-87 win over the Celtics. Top scoring for the team were Rudy Gay (19 points), Amir Johnson (13 points) and DeMar Derozan (13 points).
The Hawks, meanwhile, lost their season opener against the Dallas Mavericks, 109-118. The Hawks were in the game for a good stretch but just couldn’t execute in the second half, when Dallas outscored them, 65-54.
Starters Paul Millsap (9/15 FGs) and Jeff Teague (7/13) shot well from the field for 20 and 24 points, respectively, but needed more from the other starts in Al Horford (11 points, 5/12 FGs) and Kyle Korver (8 points, 3/9 FGs).
Atlanta won the regular season series in 2012-2013, winning two of three TOR-ATL match ups. Toronto has won the most recent match up, however, via a 113-96 blowout where DeRozan and Gay combined for 50 points.
Betting Against the Spread (ATS)
Betting Line: Toronto Raptors (+3) vs Atlanta Hawks (O/U: 195.5)
Toronto Raptors Trends
- Raptors are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games
- Raptors are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games vs East teams
- Raptors are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after a win
Atlanta Hawks Trends
- Hawks are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games
- Hawks are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games at home
- Hawks are 3-12 ATS in their last 15 games vs East teams
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Models' Ramp Walk Aired on Tuesday [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Bold, Sexy and Sensuous Lingerie Fashion [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Best Pictures From The Sexiest Show Ever [ SEE PHOTOS/VIDEOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Drooling Guys, Conscious Girls, Naughty Jokes on Twitter [SEE PHOTOS]