Android 4.4 KitKat Eligible Phones: HTC One Family, LG Optimus Line, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 3, Note 2 and Sony Xperia Z Devices
By Ryan Inoyori | November 1, 2013 3:17 PM EST
HTC, LG, Samsung and Sony are all gearing for the software release of Android 4.4 KitKat. Some devices are getting it firsthand after the Nexus line and if you own any of these brands, know which among the list are qualified to get the next-generation Android OS.
HTC Confirms Android 4.4 KitKat
HTC America President Jason Mackenzie confirms official Android 4.4 KitKat firmware for HTC One smartphone and expected to be out within 15 to 90 days depending on which variant. HTC Google Play Edition gets it firsthand within 15 days followed by Developer Edition in 30 days and lastly by the original variant in 90 days. However, HTC didn't confirm details yet about changes of Sense UI 5.5 running Android 4.4.
In addition, HTC One Max and One Mini owners may expect official firmware update as well with plans currently in works which will be announced soon.
The LG G2 is expected to get Android 4.4 KitKat which will make it a direct resemblance to Nexus 5. Other devices made by LG such as Nexus 4, second-generation Optimus L7/L5/L3 and Optimus G/G Pro are all eligible to get the new firmware. Owners of the mentioned devices should wait till LG finishes development of the software.
Samsung Galaxy Line
No mystery that Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 are all getting Android 4.4 KitKat which probably be out by the end of 2013 or early 2014. Samsung Galaxy S5 is also rumoured to run the latest Android version due in 2014 which could signal Android 4.4 among other Galaxy smartphones.
Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2 are scheduled with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean this holiday and may possibly get Android 4.4 sometime next year as both devices support 512 MB of RAM for the new OS.
Sony already announced Android 4.3 Jelly Bean among Xperia Z family and other selected Xperia phone such as SP due by the end of 2013. Latest Xperia smartphones are equipped with at least 1 GB of RAM which can run Android 4.4 KitKat.
Sony Mobile will use Android 4.4 KitKat to boost their sales with their Xperia Z line and may use Xperia Z1 Honami as its first bearer. No details yet have been found how Xperia UI will look like once combined with Android 4.4.
As of now, Android 4.4 KitKat is exclusive with Nexus 5 but will be pushed eventually among other Nexuses such as Nexus 4, Nexus 7 1 and 2, Nexus 10 and upcoming Nexus 10 2013. Galaxy Nexus is still in discussion if eligible to get one but custom ROM developers can always make a workaround for it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates