Australia’s Qantas Airlines, Japan Airlines Ups Stake in Jetstar Japan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 1, 2013 10:50 AM EST
From 41.7 per cent, the two companies will seek to up their controllership into Jetstar Japan by 45.7 per cent through a combined financial injection of A$120 million (US$113.6 million).
Consequently, stake controllership of other partners Mitsubishi and Century Tokyo Leasing will decline 4.3 per cent, down from the previous 8.3 per cent.
Qantas, in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange, said the equity injection will "support Jetstar Japan's future fleet and infrastructure growth," which particularly meant funding aircraft purchases and infrastructure developments.
Jetstar Japan began operations in July 2012. It expects to grow its domestic destinations to a fleet of 24 planes from 18 planes that were sourced in just 18 months.
Jetstar Japan's fleet is primarily composed of 180-seater A320s.
However, Qantas might face delays in the additional lineup, spurred by corresponding interruptions in the opening of its Osaka hub at Kansai International Airport.
Masaru Onishi, JAL chairman, had said in June at the IATA's annual meeting that its success depended on the timing of international short-haul routes to destinations such as Taiwan, China and South Korea.
Total number of passengers carried since start of operations hit 3 million passengers.
According to Macquarie Equities, this latest injection by Australia's Qantas in various Jetstar branches in Asia correspond to $277 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More