Australia’s Qantas Airlines, Japan Airlines Ups Stake in Jetstar Japan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 1, 2013 10:50 AM EST
From 41.7 per cent, the two companies will seek to up their controllership into Jetstar Japan by 45.7 per cent through a combined financial injection of A$120 million (US$113.6 million).
Consequently, stake controllership of other partners Mitsubishi and Century Tokyo Leasing will decline 4.3 per cent, down from the previous 8.3 per cent.
Qantas, in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange, said the equity injection will "support Jetstar Japan's future fleet and infrastructure growth," which particularly meant funding aircraft purchases and infrastructure developments.
Jetstar Japan began operations in July 2012. It expects to grow its domestic destinations to a fleet of 24 planes from 18 planes that were sourced in just 18 months.
Jetstar Japan's fleet is primarily composed of 180-seater A320s.
However, Qantas might face delays in the additional lineup, spurred by corresponding interruptions in the opening of its Osaka hub at Kansai International Airport.
Masaru Onishi, JAL chairman, had said in June at the IATA's annual meeting that its success depended on the timing of international short-haul routes to destinations such as Taiwan, China and South Korea.
Total number of passengers carried since start of operations hit 3 million passengers.
According to Macquarie Equities, this latest injection by Australia's Qantas in various Jetstar branches in Asia correspond to $277 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display