Sony Xperia Z Ultra owners can now use CyanogenMod 10.2 running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROM on their smartphones. CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly build for Xperia Z Ultra is now available for free download to those who cannot wait Sony Mobile official firmware.
CyanogenMod 10.2 for Xperia Z Ultra
Sony Mobile still needs to complete the accurate timeline of an official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware rollout among Xperia smartphones including Z Ultra. But if you are getting impatient about it, CyanogenMod 10.2 is now possible on your smartphone.
'Togari' smartphone owners are now supported with CM 10.2 which appears close to Android Open Source Project used by manufacturers and it is running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Here are some features included on CyanogenMod 10.2 firmware running Android 4.3:
1. Theme Support - Manage and apply thousands of compatible themes on your phone.
2. DSP Equaliser - Enhanced sound processing capabilities with customisation of media experience using Dynamic range compression, equaliser and headphone filtering.
3. Expanded Quick Settings - Instant access to settings via notifications bar with layout options.
4. Open Source - All codes of CyanogenMod is open source.
5. Built-In Improvements - Certain apps have been improved such as camera, custom file manager, custom music player and widgets.
6. Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Goodies - Bluetooth Low Energy, OpenGL ES 3.0, new phone app and 4K resolution are included.
7. System Improvements - Many security and stability improvements are added into the system.
Using CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly Build
Usually, Sony Mobile leaves the hardware in terms of bootloaders and other possible anti-modding methods but it is recommended to visit Sony's unlocking bootloader Web site to know everything and determine if your current model supports it. The Web page also helps out to unlock the bootloader with terms and conditions noted as well.
Flashing CyanogenMod 10.2 into your Sony Xperia Z Ultra requires a custom recovery app such as ClockworkMod or TWRP which also means you need to root the device. Click here to get the latest CM 10.2 for your device and make sure it is under the codename "togari" - you don't want to flash a different ROM.
You also need a flashable Google Apps package or Gapps for CM 10.2 to access Play Store and other Google services such as Hangouts, Gmail and Google+.
Remember that this custom ROM for Xperia Z Ultra is still a Nightly build and not suggestive for the faint hearted. Create a backup of the current ROM and data files then charge up the device to at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption during the flash.
To contact the editor, e-mail: