New Airbus of China Southern Airlines to Sydney Launched
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 30, 2013 4:54 PM EST
Frequent fliers of China Southern Airlines to Sydney now has another reason to commute via the Chinese airliner with the launch of its Airbus A380.
The 502-seater superjumbo will replace the airlines' CZ326 A330 daily service. It will still continue to fly connect to Sydney via Guangzhou, the airline's hub.
"We've been overhauling our regional operations this year with modern Airbus airliners deployed to every Australian port, and the arrival of the A380 on our Guangzhou to Sydney route marks the culmination of these efforts to become a bigger player on the Australian aviation scene," Henry He, China Southern Airlines' regional general manager, said.
Sydney received the airliner's first Airbus A380 on Monday at 9.15am (AEDT).
"Australia remains our most important overseas market and by putting the largest commercial passenger aircraft in the world on our busy Sydney to Guangzhou service we hope that we are showing this market how committed we are," Mr He said.
The new flight service, according to Kerrie Mather, Sydney Airport chief executive officer, will bring in an estimated additional 160,000 passenger seats per year.
"Chinese passengers are consistently our highest growing passenger group - with annual growth averaging almost 14 per cent over the past four years - and last year became our second largest international passenger group,'' she said.
In 2012, a total of 400,000 Chinese residents visited Sydney.
"China provides a huge tourism opportunity for Sydney and it's essential that we're well placed to serve this important market," Ms Mather said.
Andrew Stoner, New South Wales Deputy Premier, was likewise excited on the potential economic boost the new service could bring into the region.
"This daily A380 air service, we expect will generate up to 5000 jobs here in NSW and contribute around $390 million to the Australian economy, each and every year," Mr Stoner said.
"China now ranks as the largest international contributor of visitor nights and expenditure for NSW," he added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase