New Airbus of China Southern Airlines to Sydney Launched
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 30, 2013 4:54 PM EST
Frequent fliers of China Southern Airlines to Sydney now has another reason to commute via the Chinese airliner with the launch of its Airbus A380.
The 502-seater superjumbo will replace the airlines' CZ326 A330 daily service. It will still continue to fly connect to Sydney via Guangzhou, the airline's hub.
"We've been overhauling our regional operations this year with modern Airbus airliners deployed to every Australian port, and the arrival of the A380 on our Guangzhou to Sydney route marks the culmination of these efforts to become a bigger player on the Australian aviation scene," Henry He, China Southern Airlines' regional general manager, said.
Sydney received the airliner's first Airbus A380 on Monday at 9.15am (AEDT).
"Australia remains our most important overseas market and by putting the largest commercial passenger aircraft in the world on our busy Sydney to Guangzhou service we hope that we are showing this market how committed we are," Mr He said.
The new flight service, according to Kerrie Mather, Sydney Airport chief executive officer, will bring in an estimated additional 160,000 passenger seats per year.
"Chinese passengers are consistently our highest growing passenger group - with annual growth averaging almost 14 per cent over the past four years - and last year became our second largest international passenger group,'' she said.
In 2012, a total of 400,000 Chinese residents visited Sydney.
"China provides a huge tourism opportunity for Sydney and it's essential that we're well placed to serve this important market," Ms Mather said.
Andrew Stoner, New South Wales Deputy Premier, was likewise excited on the potential economic boost the new service could bring into the region.
"This daily A380 air service, we expect will generate up to 5000 jobs here in NSW and contribute around $390 million to the Australian economy, each and every year," Mr Stoner said.
"China now ranks as the largest international contributor of visitor nights and expenditure for NSW," he added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones