Sony Xperia L owners are finally receiving the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware, bringing new Jelly Bean goodies and app changes. It is a major firmware upgrade affecting the entire system performance and optimisation of applications installed.
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Sony Xperia L
Sony Mobile is now pushing the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware to owners of the Xperia L smartphone. It has the build version 15.3.A.0.26 and was released since 2013-10-29 for the device. It delivers the following features to Xperia L:
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean goodies: Google Now, Project Butter, Daydream, Actionable Notifications, Quick Settings.
- Revamped home screen experience for handling widgets, apps and shortcuts.
- Up to seven desktop panes now available.
- Widgets with auto-resizing.
- Add and drop of app icons on the application drawer to desktop, folder or tray.
- New search function for the application drawer.
- All new user interface with improvements in several Sony Media apps.
- Added camera functionalities such as Burst mode.
Official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Sony Xperia L can now be downloaded via Sony PC Companion or FOTA.
Updating your Smartphone
Sony Mobile recommends two safe ways to update your Xperia L smartphone - FOTA or firmware over-the-air and via Sony PC Companion.
1. FOTA - Firmware Over-the-Air
a. Connect your smartphone to a stable Wi-Fi connection with Internet access.
b. Wait for a notification displaying the available firmware update. If not, go to "Settings > About phone > Software update > Check updates."
c. Once the update has been confirmed, create a backup of all your personal information, settings and data files for security purposes in case something happens.
d. If you ready for the update, plug in the handset to its AC power then download the firmware.
e. Do not interrupt the firmware during installation as it may corrupt the software.
2. Sony PC Companion
a. You need a computer to access this update procedure.
b. Use your smartphone to install the application, go to "Settings > Xperia > USB Connectivity" or go Sony Mobile official Web site to download the software then install it on your computer.
c. Launch the Sony PC Companion then plug your handset to the computer using a USB cable.
d. Let the USB drivers to be installed completely before updating your device.
e. A notification should appear on the Sony PC Companion indicating the available firmware update.
f. Follow the procedure provided to you including the backup on updating your smartphone.
To contact the editor, e-mail: