Maria Sharapova Knocked Off by Li Na in the World Rankings, Sharapova Reportedly Getting in Shape and Preparing for a Big Comeback
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 30, 2013 2:01 PM EST
Russian professional tennis player Maria Sharapova lost her World No 3 position in the World Tennis Association (WTA) rankings to Chinese athlete Li Na. Sharapova ranked World No 3 on Oct 7, 2013, but she dropped to the fourth spot on Oct 28. She had only claimed the position for 21 days. She also used to rank World No 1 before. She held the top spot of the WTA rankings for the first time in August 2005 when she was just 18 years old.
Li Na has managed to get to the finals of the WTA tour held in Istanbul, Turkey. Even though Li Na lost to Serena Williams, she still has a lot to be grateful for. Making it to the finals has definitely boosted her ranking, much like Rafael Nadal, who had knocked off Novak Djokovic from the top spot just by making it to the finals of the Shanghai Rolex Masters.
Sharapova has not participated in most of the major tournaments in the 2012-2013 tennis season because of her shoulder injury. Right now, she has been making herself busy by doing a lot of trainings. It looks like she is really trying to get ready for her next comeback. She has constantly been posting and sharing photos of her recovery work and trainings on different social media Web sites like Facebook and Twitter.
She posted a picture on Facebook on Monday. She was in a gym. "Back to the office," its caption reads. She also shared another picture on Tuesday, also on Facebook, where she had her feet soaked in cold water. "Recovery post practice day, not sure why I am smiling because it is pretty cold," Sharapova wrote. Then she shared another picture of her playing in the tennis court too
Sharapova is undoubtedly determined to get back in shape and reclaim the top spot in the world rankings. She has lost a lot of opportunities in the last season. It will be in no time before Sharapova can really come back, rise, and go for the kill.
We can't wait to see Sharapova back on the tennis court!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal