Maria Sharapova Knocked Off by Li Na in the World Rankings, Sharapova Reportedly Getting in Shape and Preparing for a Big Comeback
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 30, 2013 2:01 PM EST
Russian professional tennis player Maria Sharapova lost her World No 3 position in the World Tennis Association (WTA) rankings to Chinese athlete Li Na. Sharapova ranked World No 3 on Oct 7, 2013, but she dropped to the fourth spot on Oct 28. She had only claimed the position for 21 days. She also used to rank World No 1 before. She held the top spot of the WTA rankings for the first time in August 2005 when she was just 18 years old.
Li Na has managed to get to the finals of the WTA tour held in Istanbul, Turkey. Even though Li Na lost to Serena Williams, she still has a lot to be grateful for. Making it to the finals has definitely boosted her ranking, much like Rafael Nadal, who had knocked off Novak Djokovic from the top spot just by making it to the finals of the Shanghai Rolex Masters.
Sharapova has not participated in most of the major tournaments in the 2012-2013 tennis season because of her shoulder injury. Right now, she has been making herself busy by doing a lot of trainings. It looks like she is really trying to get ready for her next comeback. She has constantly been posting and sharing photos of her recovery work and trainings on different social media Web sites like Facebook and Twitter.
She posted a picture on Facebook on Monday. She was in a gym. "Back to the office," its caption reads. She also shared another picture on Tuesday, also on Facebook, where she had her feet soaked in cold water. "Recovery post practice day, not sure why I am smiling because it is pretty cold," Sharapova wrote. Then she shared another picture of her playing in the tennis court too
Sharapova is undoubtedly determined to get back in shape and reclaim the top spot in the world rankings. She has lost a lot of opportunities in the last season. It will be in no time before Sharapova can really come back, rise, and go for the kill.
We can't wait to see Sharapova back on the tennis court!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage