Maria Sharapova Knocked Off by Li Na in the World Rankings, Sharapova Reportedly Getting in Shape and Preparing for a Big Comeback
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 30, 2013 2:01 PM EST
Russian professional tennis player Maria Sharapova lost her World No 3 position in the World Tennis Association (WTA) rankings to Chinese athlete Li Na. Sharapova ranked World No 3 on Oct 7, 2013, but she dropped to the fourth spot on Oct 28. She had only claimed the position for 21 days. She also used to rank World No 1 before. She held the top spot of the WTA rankings for the first time in August 2005 when she was just 18 years old.
Li Na has managed to get to the finals of the WTA tour held in Istanbul, Turkey. Even though Li Na lost to Serena Williams, she still has a lot to be grateful for. Making it to the finals has definitely boosted her ranking, much like Rafael Nadal, who had knocked off Novak Djokovic from the top spot just by making it to the finals of the Shanghai Rolex Masters.
Sharapova has not participated in most of the major tournaments in the 2012-2013 tennis season because of her shoulder injury. Right now, she has been making herself busy by doing a lot of trainings. It looks like she is really trying to get ready for her next comeback. She has constantly been posting and sharing photos of her recovery work and trainings on different social media Web sites like Facebook and Twitter.
She posted a picture on Facebook on Monday. She was in a gym. "Back to the office," its caption reads. She also shared another picture on Tuesday, also on Facebook, where she had her feet soaked in cold water. "Recovery post practice day, not sure why I am smiling because it is pretty cold," Sharapova wrote. Then she shared another picture of her playing in the tennis court too
Sharapova is undoubtedly determined to get back in shape and reclaim the top spot in the world rankings. She has lost a lot of opportunities in the last season. It will be in no time before Sharapova can really come back, rise, and go for the kill.
We can't wait to see Sharapova back on the tennis court!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon