Plus Points of Making Love: Sex Can Help You Burn Some Calories, Finds Study
By Roshni Mahesh | October 29, 2013 11:59 PM EST
Engaging in sexual activities can help burn some calories, new research reveals.
The study published in the journal PLOS ONE found that sex is more effective than walk in burning calories. However, the University of Montreal researchers reported that sex was not successful in providing similar results as jogging. Sexual activities benefitted both men and women by helping them burn around 4.2 calories and 3.1 calories in a minute, respectively, Live Science reported.
"These results suggest that sexual activity may potentially be considered, at times, as a significant exercise," Live Science quoted the authors in their study.
For the study, researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson selected 21 heterosexual couples, aged between 18 and 35. By conducting a half-an-hour workout on treadmill, researchers measured the calories each participant spent during physical exertion.
Later, they distributed an armband, called SenseWear, among the participants and asked them to wear them while performing sexual activities at home. The device, which works with the help of temperature sensors, accelerometers and galvanic skin responses, is capable of measuring the calories burnt. With the help of the device, they noted down the energy each couple spent while performing sex.
Most sex sessions lasted around 25 minutes and, interestingly, heart rates of the couple reached 180 beats per minute. Men burnt around 101 calories during each sexual intercourse, while women expended around 69 calories. The results were encouraging, while being compared to the calories burnt, through the treadmill workout (276 calories or 9.2 per minute for men and 213 calories or 7.1 calories in a minute for women).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff