Plus Points of Making Love: Sex Can Help You Burn Some Calories, Finds Study
By Roshni Mahesh | October 29, 2013 11:59 PM EST
Engaging in sexual activities can help burn some calories, new research reveals.
The study published in the journal PLOS ONE found that sex is more effective than walk in burning calories. However, the University of Montreal researchers reported that sex was not successful in providing similar results as jogging. Sexual activities benefitted both men and women by helping them burn around 4.2 calories and 3.1 calories in a minute, respectively, Live Science reported.
"These results suggest that sexual activity may potentially be considered, at times, as a significant exercise," Live Science quoted the authors in their study.
For the study, researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson selected 21 heterosexual couples, aged between 18 and 35. By conducting a half-an-hour workout on treadmill, researchers measured the calories each participant spent during physical exertion.
Later, they distributed an armband, called SenseWear, among the participants and asked them to wear them while performing sexual activities at home. The device, which works with the help of temperature sensors, accelerometers and galvanic skin responses, is capable of measuring the calories burnt. With the help of the device, they noted down the energy each couple spent while performing sex.
Most sex sessions lasted around 25 minutes and, interestingly, heart rates of the couple reached 180 beats per minute. Men burnt around 101 calories during each sexual intercourse, while women expended around 69 calories. The results were encouraging, while being compared to the calories burnt, through the treadmill workout (276 calories or 9.2 per minute for men and 213 calories or 7.1 calories in a minute for women).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Overdose Of Prescription Drug Oxycodone Even Deadlier Than Heroin
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- Dr Oz: Your Diet Can Affect Your Mood, Five Diets That Help Combat Depression
- 5 Celebrity Couples Who Stood The Test Of Hollywood
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans