Plus Points of Making Love: Sex Can Help You Burn Some Calories, Finds Study
By Roshni Mahesh | October 29, 2013 11:59 PM EST
Engaging in sexual activities can help burn some calories, new research reveals.
The study published in the journal PLOS ONE found that sex is more effective than walk in burning calories. However, the University of Montreal researchers reported that sex was not successful in providing similar results as jogging. Sexual activities benefitted both men and women by helping them burn around 4.2 calories and 3.1 calories in a minute, respectively, Live Science reported.
"These results suggest that sexual activity may potentially be considered, at times, as a significant exercise," Live Science quoted the authors in their study.
For the study, researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson selected 21 heterosexual couples, aged between 18 and 35. By conducting a half-an-hour workout on treadmill, researchers measured the calories each participant spent during physical exertion.
Later, they distributed an armband, called SenseWear, among the participants and asked them to wear them while performing sexual activities at home. The device, which works with the help of temperature sensors, accelerometers and galvanic skin responses, is capable of measuring the calories burnt. With the help of the device, they noted down the energy each couple spent while performing sex.
Most sex sessions lasted around 25 minutes and, interestingly, heart rates of the couple reached 180 beats per minute. Men burnt around 101 calories during each sexual intercourse, while women expended around 69 calories. The results were encouraging, while being compared to the calories burnt, through the treadmill workout (276 calories or 9.2 per minute for men and 213 calories or 7.1 calories in a minute for women).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Sex With 20 Women Or More Reduces Risk Of Prostate Cancer, Canadian Research Says
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family