Plus Points of Making Love: Sex Can Help You Burn Some Calories, Finds Study
By Roshni Mahesh | October 29, 2013 11:59 PM EST
Engaging in sexual activities can help burn some calories, new research reveals.
The study published in the journal PLOS ONE found that sex is more effective than walk in burning calories. However, the University of Montreal researchers reported that sex was not successful in providing similar results as jogging. Sexual activities benefitted both men and women by helping them burn around 4.2 calories and 3.1 calories in a minute, respectively, Live Science reported.
"These results suggest that sexual activity may potentially be considered, at times, as a significant exercise," Live Science quoted the authors in their study.
For the study, researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson selected 21 heterosexual couples, aged between 18 and 35. By conducting a half-an-hour workout on treadmill, researchers measured the calories each participant spent during physical exertion.
Later, they distributed an armband, called SenseWear, among the participants and asked them to wear them while performing sexual activities at home. The device, which works with the help of temperature sensors, accelerometers and galvanic skin responses, is capable of measuring the calories burnt. With the help of the device, they noted down the energy each couple spent while performing sex.
Most sex sessions lasted around 25 minutes and, interestingly, heart rates of the couple reached 180 beats per minute. Men burnt around 101 calories during each sexual intercourse, while women expended around 69 calories. The results were encouraging, while being compared to the calories burnt, through the treadmill workout (276 calories or 9.2 per minute for men and 213 calories or 7.1 calories in a minute for women).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date