The Los Angeles Lakers have a total of 16 NBA titles in their franchise history, while the Los Angeles Clippers have not even appeared in an NBA Finals. However, during the past season, the Clippers have outdone their counterparts and are considered to be one of the title contenders in the upcoming season.
The same cannot be said of the Lakers, who are in some sort of disarray with injuries to key players and are in a semi-rebuild mode.
The Clippers’ core knows their task at hand and is motivated to further prove their point as “the team” in L.A.
"We have higher expectations for ourselves than anybody else," Blake Griffin told the team’s official website. "We don't feel we've arrived until we win a championship."
Clippers point guard Chris Paul feels the same way as Griffin and credits their new coach Doc Rivers for instilling the championship mindset in the team.
"You always want someone to push you and motivate you," said Paul in the same article. "In our first meeting, he told me I hadn't really done anything in this league, and he's right."
The Clippers finished with 56 wins in the 2012-13 regular season, and they have new weapons in 2013 in offseason acquisitions Rivers, small forward Jared Dudley, shooting guard J.J. Reddick and point guard Darren Collison.
Meanwhile, the Lakers will be missing the services of superstar Kobe Bryant who tore his Achilles tendon in the latter part of the 2012-13 season. The injury caused him to miss the rest of the regular season and the 2013 playoffs and no timetable has been set for his return.
"It's really important for us to embrace these low expectations, try to find a chemistry and build ourselves into a team that has some confidence," said the 39-year-old Steve Nash, who will try to hold the fort along with Pau Gasol while the Black Mamba is out.
The Lakers also hope to get positive contributions from newcomers Nick Young and Chris Kaman, both pegged as starters in the L.A. line-up.
Betting Against the Spread (ATS)
Betting Line: Los Angeles Clippers (-8.5) vs. Los Angeles Lakers (O/U: 198.5)
Los Angeles Clippers Trends
- Clippers are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games
- Clippers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. the Lakers
- Clippers are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games on the road
- Clippers are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 vs. Western conference teams
Los Angeles Lakers Trends
- Lakers are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games
- The home team is 10-4 ATS in the last 14 games between Clippers-Lakers
- Lakers are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games vs. Western conference teams
- Lakers are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games vs. Pacific division teams
Read also our 2013-14 NBA Season Team Previews:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top Ten Richest Americans [PHOTOS]
- Is Orlando Bloom’s Wife, Miranda Kerr Singing Love Songs for James Packer? [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Jelena' Romance: Selena Gomez Shares her Most Shocking Date with Justin Bieber Involving $3M- Diamond [PHOTOS/VIDEO]
- Watch Out, Robert Pattinson! Kellan Lutz Reveals He Turned Down The Role Of ‘Twilight’ Lead Edward Cullen [PHOTOS/ VIDEOS]