Saga of Racism and Controversies: Miss Universe 2013
By ambika thakur | October 29, 2013 5:15 PM EST
Racism, controversy and protests - these three have become inevitable in international beauty pageants.
Recently, Miss Brazil Jakelyne Oliveira, was shown behind a Twitter page slamming Miss Philippines Ariella Arida for allegedly making a "racist" statement about Latinas.
"Good afternoon direct from Moscow!
Personal unfortunately some people are using social networking profiles (Facebook and Twitter) in my name and publishing false information. Profiles my officers are this Facebook page Jaakelyne on Instagram. I have a profile on Twitter or any other social network. Stay tuned! And follow me here!
Please share this information with your networks to let more people know and follow the fake profiles. Thank you!"
Oliveira's Facebook account, which is tagged in the official Miss Brasil Universo (Miss Universe Brazil) page, had as many as 10,000 followers as of now.
As we have reported earlier before Thursday, a number of tweets from the account @MUBrazil2013 (The Twitter page, which was later set to private and subsequently deleted, used the name "Jakelyne Oliveira" as well as a photo of the Brazilian beauty queen for its profile).
Pertained to a comment about Latinas and speaking English fluently, which were one of the subjects in Arida's recent interview on the ABS-CBN News Channel's (ANC) on ANC's "Headstart" show
"What if a Latina said people of the Philippines cannot even speak English?" One of the Twitter account's posts read, "You will be hurt, right? We just find it quite offensive."
"Some might find it offensive, but next time try to be very cautious before you open your mouth esp. [when] you are generalizing a certain race.
"When your race was being criticized you are overly sensitive, but when our race was put to shame, you are expecting us not to comment," two other tweets read.
"She should have tell it 'some and not all 'Latina' [community] cannot even speak English fulently, [because] it really sounds racist." In another tweet, @MUBrazil2013 added.
The account went on to retweet several posts, which appear to be from Filipino netizens, apologizing for the supposedly offensive comment made by Arida in her interview.
Arida's 'Latina' jibe
Arida got involved in a controversy unintentionally as she was asked by host Karen Davila to comment on controversy regarding her communication skills in English, on ANC's Headstart show before she left to Moscow.
"'Is this our Miss Universe?'" Davila mentioned a Twitter post saying. "'I think she's having a hard time speaking in English.' Can you respond to that?"
"When you get there, it's (on) how your express yourself. Latinas can't even complete a sentence... in English. I think it's (just) the Filipino(s) who are critical. Many of the candidates have a translator. But I know I'm gonna deliver," she boldly added.
This part of the interview became the subject of radio personality Mo Twister's online tirade Arida's pageant mentor, Jonas Gaffud, shortly came to the defend her.
Arida has since apologized for the statement on Twitter, saying, "I didn't mean to offend anyone from my last interview. I hope you guys can understand what [I'm] trying to say."
Some pageant enthusiasts already seem not to be pleased with some of the Asian beauties are covered in the top Hot Picks of the people's choice poll at the Miss Universe 2013 official Facebook page and they expressed their bitterness and even ridiculed the Asians on Missosology's Facebook page.
"No Asians hahaha call me bitter ! but this is RACIST the fake enhanced beauties under the knife leads this hotpicks ," writes Obet Dizon.
" LOL. Racist prediction! No Asian. No dark skin. Sorry. Not valid," commented Indah Larasati Soeroso.
"What ...... ??? Not Vietnammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... No Asian," wrote another fan Chênh Vênh from Vietnam.
" I dunno who your analysts are to even have the confidence to post your prediction list and call yourselves beauty experts lol. Missosology admins are just a bunch of ordinary pips like us who look at beauty no different from ordinary humans, too, like us. So who cares now with your prediction? Your choices are weird," wrote Jeremy Bascos on their Facebook page.
Miss Universe Myanmar, Moe Set Wine became the target of criticism on Burmese social media following the disclosure that she has competed as a Chinese beauty contestant, Andy Cohen has boycotted the pageant due to Russia's anti-gay laws, Miss Kosovo Mirjeta Shala's prohibited to participate in the contest resulted in Miss Albania Fioralba Dizdari's withdrawal from the pageant.
Now it's the turn of Missosology (the online magazine for global beauty pageants) has also swirled in controversy along with many other and more to come so stay tuned we are coming up with more contentious and hot news pieces.
You may also like to read more:
Miss Universe 2013: Possible Winners Predicted [PHOTOS/VIDEOS] Read Here
Early Favorites Among Miss Universe 2013 Beauties Read HERE
Miss Universe 2013 Controversies: Reason And People Behind Them [PHOTOS/VIDEOS] Read HERE
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown