Hideo Kojima, creator of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, has explained what the studio meant when it said the game will be open world.
"I think the term 'open world' has taken on a life of its own and caused misunderstandings." Polygon quoted Kojima as saying.
"Of course it's not going to be a game where Snake fishes all day or changes jobs and pursues a different life. The game map is an open world and you have freedom in that way, but in MGS5, it's clear what you're doing. That may be 'I have to help someone' or 'Destroy this thing' or 'Go gather intelligence at this spot'. Some missions will have time limits, too."
Kojima further explained that cut scenes will mark the entry and exit from missions. He adds, "It's not that linear games are bad [...] but really, it'd be fun if you were the one thinking about how and where to infiltrate, what sort of equipment to bring, and how to get out of there."
He said that the open world feature was not communicated properly and the studio is currently working on control system and visual expressions, which will explain the idea better. He also stated the future of gaming is open world, as they make better use of games by being interactive.
Metal Gear Solid 5 debuted at E3 2013 but during the Tokyo Game Show in September, the trailer focused on Ground Zeroes.
Ground Zeroes serve an extended prologue to the main game, with difference in user interface but with an open world setting similar as the main game. This will separate the player from the main game. This will allow players to experience the open world setting. Some of the features Kojima spoke about are:
- Players can be attacked from 360 degrees around by enemies.
- In-game reactions will change on the action the player chooses.
- There will be limitation of availability and a static time and weather pattern will be set.
- It will take place in 1975, while the main game will be taking place in 1984.
- "Something bad happens at the end of GZ, and then you continue into the main game."
- Players will have to play Ground Zero if they have to understand the retaliation in the main game.
- It is the "'ground zero' of Snake's story."
Though Kojima laughed off when asked about cloud computing in this game, he hinted that players in the game can progress as they might choose.
He further explained the reasons for calling the game 'Tactical Espionage Operations' instead of 'Tactical Espionage Action,' as the studio is at a point where it is mixing the old Metal Gear Solid, 2010's Peace Walker and open world, all together.
Other features that have been known so far include (GamingBolt):
- Snake can get a friend to help him out in some of the missions.
- Cigar can be used to fast-forward time or change the time.
- The Afghan map will be geographically based on Jordan.
- Snake's face will be based on four different people.
The game has been confirmed for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One but no release date has been announced by the studio yet.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: