Hanging off Eiffel Tower, Greenpeace Activist Protestor Demands Russia ‘Free the Arctic 30’
By Sunny Peter | October 28, 2013 8:01 PM EST
Protesting Russian action against the Greenpeace vessel Arctic Sunrise, an activist of the organisation, staged a two-hour protest inside a tent hanging from the second floor of the Eiffel Tower, on Saturday.
Reports said the Greenpeace activist who climbed atop the Eiffel Tower, unveiled a banner which read "Free the Arctic 30" and "Militants in prison, climate in danger."
The protestor climbed up the Eiffel Tower, and began the protest at around 9 am local time. The campaign ended two hours later as firemen forced the activist to climb down. Following the protest, French authorities closed the monument to tourists during the morning hours.
"We are here to send a message to the French government to do everything to secure the release of the 28 militants and two journalists," Cyrille Cormier, a Greenpeace campaigner, is reported to have told a press agency.
"Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault is due to visit Russia next week. We are asking him to put this case on the agenda," he added.
Russia had sparked an international outcry after it's detained the vessel belonging to Greenpeace and arrested the 30 member crew who were protesting against the offshore ice-resistant fixed platform 'Prirazlomnaya' in the Barents Sea.
Two Greenpeace activists had scaled a state-owned oil platform to protest against Russian energy exploration in the Arctic. The Russian coastguard then boarded the "Arctic Sunrise" on Sept 19 and brought it to the port of Murmansk Oblast.
Global pressure is building on Russia to release the arrested activist with Netherlands, having approached the United Nations-backed International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, requesting provisional measures to be re-supplied and allowed to leave the place of detention along with the crew and exercise the freedom of navigation.
Meanwhile, Russian investigators have said that they found illegal drugs on board the Greenpeace Ice breaker Arctic Sunrise on Wednesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Italian Appeals Court Overturns 2013 Sex with Underage Prostitute Conviction Against Former PM Silvio Berlusconi
- New Zealand Pays Tribute to Kiwi MH17 Victims Amid World Clamor for Russian Cooperation
- New Senator Jacqui Lambie Heats Up Aussie Radio by Saying Potential Suitor Should Be Rich and Well-Hung
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia