Former, ousted Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed, on Friday said he feared that al Qaeda agents were plotting to kill him. Maldivian authorities are investigating the matter.
A statement issued by Mr Nasheed's office, said that two operatives belonging to the al Qaeda were currently in Male, plotting an attack on him.
The statement, added that the Mr Nasheed's office had requested the defence ministry's intelligence agencies to investigate the matter and share the findings.
Similar rumours of an assassination plot, to eliminate Mr Nasheed in Male, had come up in April 2013.
The statement from Mr Nasheed's office quoted reports from his supporters, saying that a sniper rifle had been smuggled in and two foreign mercenaries had been hired to kill the ex-president. The two assassins were in the country already, the statement said.
Maldives is facing political tension; with the presidential elections having being scuttled twice. Doubts continue to be expressed whether the fresh polls, scheduled for Nov 9, will actually be held.
Former President Nasheed, 46, was ousted from power 20 months back. He had won the first round of elections on September 7 securing 45 per cent of the popular vote. Having failed to secure the requisite 50 per cent of the votes, in the first round, Mr Nasheed was required to stand for the second-round run-off elections.
The country's highest court, however, annulled the second round voting based on complaints of anomalies in the first round. The court called for fresh elections on Oct 19, which was stopped by the police citing procedural flaws. As per the new poll schedule, if no candidate gets the required 50 per cent at votes, on Nov 9, a runoff will be held on Nov 16.
Observers fear that candidates could still scuttle the election, refusing to endorse the voter list, as was the case for stopping the voting on Oct 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail: