An Afghan National Security member attacked coalition soldiers while the latter were in a meeting in the Qargha region of northern Afghanistan on Oct 26, 2013 at 9 am local time.
The attacked happen at an ANA facility near the Afghan National Army Officer Academy where Australians and other ISAF personnel were training future Afghan Army Officers.
Soldiers from the Australian Defence Force and New Zealand Defence Force responded to the attack. Both the Australian and New Zealand soldiers were wounded.
Acting Chief of Defence Force, Air Marshall Mark Binskin, was impressed with the soldiers' prompt response.
"From initial reporting, it would appear that our soldiers reacted promptly and professionally, potentially saving any other ISAF or Afghan personnel from sustaining wounds or worse. It is impossible to completely remove the threat of insider attacks, but the actions of the ADF Force Protection soldiers demonstrate that our training and force protection techniques are appropriate and prepared to respond, when incidents such as this occur," he said," Mr Binskin said.
The two soldiers wounded were given immediate medical aid.
On Oct 27, the Australian soldier returned to duty while the New Zealand soldier remained in a stable condition but is yet to report back to duty. Any further enquiries about the wounded New Zealand soldiers were advised to be directed to New Zealand authorities.
The Afghan soldier, who attacked the coalition soldiers, died despite being medically evacuated to the hospital.
"Australian and New Zealand soldiers are highly professional and it is good news that no serious injuries were sustained in this attack. Our force protection measures were operating effectively - saving the Australian and New Zealand soldiers from a more serious situation," Mr Binskin stated.
Both the Australian and New Zealand Defence force were in talks with the dead Afghan soldier's unit to probe deeper why the Afghan soldier attacked the coalition soldiers.
To date, the Defence Department said that there already 15 ADF personnel who had been wounded in separate incidents in Afghanistan in 2013. However, Defence Department refused to release further details about the identities of the soldiers and the details of the attacks.
To contact the editor, e-mail: