Apple Claims It Has Sold 170 Million iPads, But Analysts Doubt 15M Figure for Q3
By Vittorio Hernandez | October 27, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Apple claims to have shipped a total of 170 million units of iPad to date, implying it shipped about 15 million tablets in Q3. However, like the Cupertino-based tech giant's previous claim of selling 9 million units of the newly launched iPhone 5S and 5C on the first three days it appeared in stores, there are doubters.
The belief of many Wall Street analysts is that Apple actually shipped 15 million iPads during the last three months, but these tablets were the ones delivered to stores, not necessarily in the hands of consumers.
Among the analysts who made that conclusion and gave lower estimates of shipment for the three-month period is Maynard Um of Wells Fargo securities who believes the more accurate number is 14.6 million units shipped, not 14.9 million
Timothy Acun of Cowen and Company had the same 14.9 million forecast, while Amit Daryanam of RBC Capital Markets places it at 14.8 million and Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray reckons it at 14 million.
The curious will find more details when Apple publishes on Monday Oct 28, after the markets close, its Q3 report.
While analysts doubt, consumers were bored at the recent roll out of the iPad Air and iPad Mini, wrote Nick Bilton, a blogger at the New York Times. He based his comment on posts on Facebook, Google Plus and Tumblr.
He clarified that what is boring is not so much the new Apple devices, but the dated style of presentations.
Mr Bilton cited the standard Apple presentation as starting with CEO Tim Cook cooking out on stage in jeans and untucked black shirt babbling about some statistics, followed by some jokes.
He is followed by Apple Marketing Head Philip Schiller who discusses new hardware. Mr Cook introduces a new device which Mr Schiller again explains, followed by a video of Apple's Jony Ive saying in a British accent it is the best gadget they've ever produced.
Mr Bilton pointed out that while these presentations get media attention for the new Apple products, the format was designed for deceased CEO Steven Jobs who had a stronger stage presence than Messrs Cook and Schiller.
Here's is the iPhone 5 launch for comparison purposes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists