Moe Set Wine Miss Universe Myanmar 2013: 'I Am Part of History, I Feel Like a Soldier'
By ambika thakur | October 27, 2013 2:05 PM EST
Miss Universe Myanmar 2013 bet Moe Set Wine after breaking the 50-year beauty queen drought could win the diamond nexus crown amid controversies.
Wine will be the first woman to represent Myanmar in the Miss Universe 2013 competition in Moscow on Nov 9. She has emerged as one of the pageant's favorite candidates.
She was crowned Miss Universe Myanmar 2013 last Oct 3 at the National Theatre in Yangon. The pageant was organised by the "Hello Madam" Media Group. It was held for the first time since 1961. Based on fan votes through the Net and SMS messages, she won Miss Perfect Skin and Miss Famous titles.
In 2009, Wine participated and placed second in a Burmese-Chinese beauty pageant held by Golden Phoenix, a local newspaper.
She was born in Yangon on May 20, 1988. She graduated from Dagon University with a degree in English. She has a strong academic background with BA Business Administration degree in marketing from California Lutheran University. Apparently, she has strong communication skills.
"I feel like now I am part of the history and I feel like a soldier that is doing something for the country and my people," she said after winning the Miss Myanmar title.
"I'm still in shock. I still can't believe it. I feel really happy, because now I get the chance to represent my country," she added.
"I feel happy and honoured. I believe this is a chance in a lifetime. I will not take it for granted and I will do my best so that when I look back I will feel I have done something for my country," Wine told Bangkok Post.
Wine's role model is Myanmar's opposition leader and Nobel Prize Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi. She inspires her to be calm and composed.
"She inspires many of us. I think of her as a very, strong person," she said.
"Myanmar has changed a lot. We have political changes. We have started to become a democratic country. There are many new businesses, opportunities, and foreigners coming in and because of that the economy has improved," she added.
But shortly after winning the title, Wine became the target of criticism on Burmese social media for attending a public event accompanied by Nay Shwe Thway Aung, the grandson of former Burmese Dictator Than Shwe.
Following the disclosure that she has competed as a Chinese beauty contestant again, a big controversy swirled around her, but Chan Linn Thu, the media officer of Hello Madam came to her defense.
"It was not held in China but at the Sedona Hotel in Rangoon for the anniversary of the International Traders Association in 2009," said Chan Linn Thu, explaining the reason behind the fracas that the hullabaloo was created to spoil the credibility of his agency.
He noted the contest Wine participated in 2009 was not a Chinese event but a Burmese event hosted in Rangoon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu