Moe Set Wine Miss Universe Myanmar 2013: 'I Am Part of History, I Feel Like a Soldier'
By ambika thakur | October 27, 2013 2:05 PM EST
Miss Universe Myanmar 2013 bet Moe Set Wine after breaking the 50-year beauty queen drought could win the diamond nexus crown amid controversies.
Wine will be the first woman to represent Myanmar in the Miss Universe 2013 competition in Moscow on Nov 9. She has emerged as one of the pageant's favorite candidates.
She was crowned Miss Universe Myanmar 2013 last Oct 3 at the National Theatre in Yangon. The pageant was organised by the "Hello Madam" Media Group. It was held for the first time since 1961. Based on fan votes through the Net and SMS messages, she won Miss Perfect Skin and Miss Famous titles.
In 2009, Wine participated and placed second in a Burmese-Chinese beauty pageant held by Golden Phoenix, a local newspaper.
She was born in Yangon on May 20, 1988. She graduated from Dagon University with a degree in English. She has a strong academic background with BA Business Administration degree in marketing from California Lutheran University. Apparently, she has strong communication skills.
"I feel like now I am part of the history and I feel like a soldier that is doing something for the country and my people," she said after winning the Miss Myanmar title.
"I'm still in shock. I still can't believe it. I feel really happy, because now I get the chance to represent my country," she added.
"I feel happy and honoured. I believe this is a chance in a lifetime. I will not take it for granted and I will do my best so that when I look back I will feel I have done something for my country," Wine told Bangkok Post.
Wine's role model is Myanmar's opposition leader and Nobel Prize Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi. She inspires her to be calm and composed.
"She inspires many of us. I think of her as a very, strong person," she said.
"Myanmar has changed a lot. We have political changes. We have started to become a democratic country. There are many new businesses, opportunities, and foreigners coming in and because of that the economy has improved," she added.
But shortly after winning the title, Wine became the target of criticism on Burmese social media for attending a public event accompanied by Nay Shwe Thway Aung, the grandson of former Burmese Dictator Than Shwe.
Following the disclosure that she has competed as a Chinese beauty contestant again, a big controversy swirled around her, but Chan Linn Thu, the media officer of Hello Madam came to her defense.
"It was not held in China but at the Sedona Hotel in Rangoon for the anniversary of the International Traders Association in 2009," said Chan Linn Thu, explaining the reason behind the fracas that the hullabaloo was created to spoil the credibility of his agency.
He noted the contest Wine participated in 2009 was not a Chinese event but a Burmese event hosted in Rangoon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’