Moe Set Wine Miss Universe Myanmar 2013: 'I Am Part of History, I Feel Like a Soldier'
By ambika thakur | October 27, 2013 2:05 PM EST
Miss Universe Myanmar 2013 bet Moe Set Wine after breaking the 50-year beauty queen drought could win the diamond nexus crown amid controversies.
Wine will be the first woman to represent Myanmar in the Miss Universe 2013 competition in Moscow on Nov 9. She has emerged as one of the pageant's favorite candidates.
She was crowned Miss Universe Myanmar 2013 last Oct 3 at the National Theatre in Yangon. The pageant was organised by the "Hello Madam" Media Group. It was held for the first time since 1961. Based on fan votes through the Net and SMS messages, she won Miss Perfect Skin and Miss Famous titles.
In 2009, Wine participated and placed second in a Burmese-Chinese beauty pageant held by Golden Phoenix, a local newspaper.
She was born in Yangon on May 20, 1988. She graduated from Dagon University with a degree in English. She has a strong academic background with BA Business Administration degree in marketing from California Lutheran University. Apparently, she has strong communication skills.
"I feel like now I am part of the history and I feel like a soldier that is doing something for the country and my people," she said after winning the Miss Myanmar title.
"I'm still in shock. I still can't believe it. I feel really happy, because now I get the chance to represent my country," she added.
"I feel happy and honoured. I believe this is a chance in a lifetime. I will not take it for granted and I will do my best so that when I look back I will feel I have done something for my country," Wine told Bangkok Post.
Wine's role model is Myanmar's opposition leader and Nobel Prize Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi. She inspires her to be calm and composed.
"She inspires many of us. I think of her as a very, strong person," she said.
"Myanmar has changed a lot. We have political changes. We have started to become a democratic country. There are many new businesses, opportunities, and foreigners coming in and because of that the economy has improved," she added.
But shortly after winning the title, Wine became the target of criticism on Burmese social media for attending a public event accompanied by Nay Shwe Thway Aung, the grandson of former Burmese Dictator Than Shwe.
Following the disclosure that she has competed as a Chinese beauty contestant again, a big controversy swirled around her, but Chan Linn Thu, the media officer of Hello Madam came to her defense.
"It was not held in China but at the Sedona Hotel in Rangoon for the anniversary of the International Traders Association in 2009," said Chan Linn Thu, explaining the reason behind the fracas that the hullabaloo was created to spoil the credibility of his agency.
He noted the contest Wine participated in 2009 was not a Chinese event but a Burmese event hosted in Rangoon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'