Germany: Drug Users' Faeces Causing Pet Dogs to Overdose
By Hannah Osborne | October 25, 2013 12:35 AM EST
Dogs in Berlin are increasingly getting high and overdosing after eating the faeces of drug users in the city's parks.
Vets have said they have experienced a rise in the number of dogs being brought in having ingested drugs through junkie excrement, according to local press reports.
Tests show the dogs have ingested illegal drugs, including heroin, still present in the users poo.
Dog owners who walk their pets in the Treptow and Krezburg areas have been warned to be vigilant about what their four-legged friends are eating.
Parks in these parts of the city see groups of drug users gathering, some of whom use the bushes as a toilet.
Vet Reinhold Sassnau told the Tagesspiegel newspaper that symptoms of a dog which has ingested drug-laden faeces include dehydration, shaking, difficulty walking and a rapid heartbeat.
One dog owner, called Malte, said he took his 10-year-old pet to an emergency vet after walking him through Görlitzer Park. "We thought he was going to die," he said.
Jörn Bischof, the vet at the Charlottenburg clinic who treated Malte's dog, said cases of drug poisoning are becoming more frequent and advised owners to try to stop their pets from eating any waste they come across while outdoors.
Sassnau said that while fatal cases were rare, they were not unheard of. He said most cases are brought in during night shifts and if the animal is brought in early, a drug can be administered to make them vomit up the faeces. If not, the dog has to be kept in the surgery until they stabilise.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports