Germany: Drug Users' Faeces Causing Pet Dogs to Overdose
By Hannah Osborne | October 25, 2013 12:35 AM EST
Dogs in Berlin are increasingly getting high and overdosing after eating the faeces of drug users in the city's parks.
Vets have said they have experienced a rise in the number of dogs being brought in having ingested drugs through junkie excrement, according to local press reports.
Tests show the dogs have ingested illegal drugs, including heroin, still present in the users poo.
Dog owners who walk their pets in the Treptow and Krezburg areas have been warned to be vigilant about what their four-legged friends are eating.
Parks in these parts of the city see groups of drug users gathering, some of whom use the bushes as a toilet.
Vet Reinhold Sassnau told the Tagesspiegel newspaper that symptoms of a dog which has ingested drug-laden faeces include dehydration, shaking, difficulty walking and a rapid heartbeat.
One dog owner, called Malte, said he took his 10-year-old pet to an emergency vet after walking him through Görlitzer Park. "We thought he was going to die," he said.
Jörn Bischof, the vet at the Charlottenburg clinic who treated Malte's dog, said cases of drug poisoning are becoming more frequent and advised owners to try to stop their pets from eating any waste they come across while outdoors.
Sassnau said that while fatal cases were rare, they were not unheard of. He said most cases are brought in during night shifts and if the animal is brought in early, a drug can be administered to make them vomit up the faeces. If not, the dog has to be kept in the surgery until they stabilise.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports