Obama Cares: U.S. President Barack Obama Shows He Truly Cares by Catching Fainting Pregnant Woman in Time
By Janice Somosot | October 23, 2013 6:22 PM EST
U.S. President Barack Obama proves that Obamacare is truly serious about its goals to provide affordable health care for everyone in the U.S. He even demonstrated it by catching Karmel Allison, a fainting pregnant woman, in time. Obama really cares, after all! He cared enough to stop midway in his speech about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare, to help out someone in need.
ASweetLife science editor Karmel Allison (the woman in red), who also has a blog called Where is My Robot Pancreas?, was invited at the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington D.C on Monday, Oct. 21, 2013 to witness U.S. President Barack Obama's speech about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare.
But, Karmel, who is pregnant, as well as diabetic, felt dizzy and almost fainted during the said speech. Luckily for her, President Obama and a man behind her have quick reflexes and managed to catch her before she fell flat on the floor.
President Obama was speaking about the ACA Web site getting fixed and how they fought hard to pass the health care law to help people who don't have health insurance, so that they can still get health care without falling into debt.
"The website is going to get fixed and the law works. That's why we fought so hard to pass this law -- to save folks like John money; to give people who don't have health insurance the chance to get it for the first time; to lift from the American people the crushing burden of unaffordable health care; to free families from the pervasive fear that one illness..." said Obama.
Suddenly, Allison felt ill and appeared to faint.
But Obama held on to her and said "There you go, you are ok. I'm right here. I got you. No, no -- you're okay."
"This happens when I talk too long." Obama added jokingly.
He then continued and finished his speech, promising to free families from their fear of losing everything just to be able to pay for their health care bills, should they get sick.
"Our goal has always been to declare that in this country the security of health care is not a privilege for a fortunate few. It's a right for all to enjoy. That's what the Affordable Care Act is all about. That's its promise. And I intend to deliver on that promise." Obama finished.
Allison is okay now after the said incident.
She even tweeted Obama:
I'm ok world- just got a little lightheaded.Thanks, @BarackObama for catching me! And good thing this pregnant diabetic is pregnant :)
— Karmel Allison (@karmel_a) October 21, 2013
Other Twitter users also reacted on what happened to Allison, tweeting:
The President might have just picked up the slack of the continuous glucose monitor @karmel_a @BarackObama nicely done #type1diabetes — Allison F (@Ally_FerTito) October 21, 2013
Allison wrote a blog post about Obamacare and how it affects her.
"I was floored by what I saw. I filled out the simple questionnaire on the website to see my options. They asked me about my age, my income, my family size. And that was it. No medical history.
"Then I was presented with options. The same options my healthy-young-male husband sees. The same options every late-twenty-something sees."
"It's incredible. It's profoundly American, to feel like I have choices and the freedom to move." wrote Allison.
Read more on What Obamacare Feels Like to a Diabetic (click here)
Read more on Who Is Karmel Allison? How The Obama Fainting Woman Wound Up On Stage For The President's Affordable Care Act Speech [VIDEO] (click here)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Overdose Of Prescription Drug Oxycodone Even Deadlier Than Heroin
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- 5 Celebrity Couples Who Stood The Test Of Hollywood
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying