Obama Cares: U.S. President Barack Obama Shows He Truly Cares by Catching Fainting Pregnant Woman in Time
By Janice Somosot | October 23, 2013 6:22 PM EST
U.S. President Barack Obama proves that Obamacare is truly serious about its goals to provide affordable health care for everyone in the U.S. He even demonstrated it by catching Karmel Allison, a fainting pregnant woman, in time. Obama really cares, after all! He cared enough to stop midway in his speech about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare, to help out someone in need.
ASweetLife science editor Karmel Allison (the woman in red), who also has a blog called Where is My Robot Pancreas?, was invited at the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington D.C on Monday, Oct. 21, 2013 to witness U.S. President Barack Obama's speech about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare.
But, Karmel, who is pregnant, as well as diabetic, felt dizzy and almost fainted during the said speech. Luckily for her, President Obama and a man behind her have quick reflexes and managed to catch her before she fell flat on the floor.
President Obama was speaking about the ACA Web site getting fixed and how they fought hard to pass the health care law to help people who don't have health insurance, so that they can still get health care without falling into debt.
"The website is going to get fixed and the law works. That's why we fought so hard to pass this law -- to save folks like John money; to give people who don't have health insurance the chance to get it for the first time; to lift from the American people the crushing burden of unaffordable health care; to free families from the pervasive fear that one illness..." said Obama.
Suddenly, Allison felt ill and appeared to faint.
But Obama held on to her and said "There you go, you are ok. I'm right here. I got you. No, no -- you're okay."
"This happens when I talk too long." Obama added jokingly.
He then continued and finished his speech, promising to free families from their fear of losing everything just to be able to pay for their health care bills, should they get sick.
"Our goal has always been to declare that in this country the security of health care is not a privilege for a fortunate few. It's a right for all to enjoy. That's what the Affordable Care Act is all about. That's its promise. And I intend to deliver on that promise." Obama finished.
Allison is okay now after the said incident.
She even tweeted Obama:
I'm ok world- just got a little lightheaded.Thanks, @BarackObama for catching me! And good thing this pregnant diabetic is pregnant :)
— Karmel Allison (@karmel_a) October 21, 2013
Other Twitter users also reacted on what happened to Allison, tweeting:
The President might have just picked up the slack of the continuous glucose monitor @karmel_a @BarackObama nicely done #type1diabetes — Allison F (@Ally_FerTito) October 21, 2013
Allison wrote a blog post about Obamacare and how it affects her.
"I was floored by what I saw. I filled out the simple questionnaire on the website to see my options. They asked me about my age, my income, my family size. And that was it. No medical history.
"Then I was presented with options. The same options my healthy-young-male husband sees. The same options every late-twenty-something sees."
"It's incredible. It's profoundly American, to feel like I have choices and the freedom to move." wrote Allison.
Read more on What Obamacare Feels Like to a Diabetic (click here)
Read more on Who Is Karmel Allison? How The Obama Fainting Woman Wound Up On Stage For The President's Affordable Care Act Speech [VIDEO] (click here)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko