Obama Cares: U.S. President Barack Obama Shows He Truly Cares by Catching Fainting Pregnant Woman in Time
By Janice Somosot | October 23, 2013 6:22 PM EST
U.S. President Barack Obama proves that Obamacare is truly serious about its goals to provide affordable health care for everyone in the U.S. He even demonstrated it by catching Karmel Allison, a fainting pregnant woman, in time. Obama really cares, after all! He cared enough to stop midway in his speech about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare, to help out someone in need.
ASweetLife science editor Karmel Allison (the woman in red), who also has a blog called Where is My Robot Pancreas?, was invited at the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington D.C on Monday, Oct. 21, 2013 to witness U.S. President Barack Obama's speech about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare.
But, Karmel, who is pregnant, as well as diabetic, felt dizzy and almost fainted during the said speech. Luckily for her, President Obama and a man behind her have quick reflexes and managed to catch her before she fell flat on the floor.
President Obama was speaking about the ACA Web site getting fixed and how they fought hard to pass the health care law to help people who don't have health insurance, so that they can still get health care without falling into debt.
"The website is going to get fixed and the law works. That's why we fought so hard to pass this law -- to save folks like John money; to give people who don't have health insurance the chance to get it for the first time; to lift from the American people the crushing burden of unaffordable health care; to free families from the pervasive fear that one illness..." said Obama.
Suddenly, Allison felt ill and appeared to faint.
But Obama held on to her and said "There you go, you are ok. I'm right here. I got you. No, no -- you're okay."
"This happens when I talk too long." Obama added jokingly.
He then continued and finished his speech, promising to free families from their fear of losing everything just to be able to pay for their health care bills, should they get sick.
"Our goal has always been to declare that in this country the security of health care is not a privilege for a fortunate few. It's a right for all to enjoy. That's what the Affordable Care Act is all about. That's its promise. And I intend to deliver on that promise." Obama finished.
Allison is okay now after the said incident.
She even tweeted Obama:
I'm ok world- just got a little lightheaded.Thanks, @BarackObama for catching me! And good thing this pregnant diabetic is pregnant :)
— Karmel Allison (@karmel_a) October 21, 2013
Other Twitter users also reacted on what happened to Allison, tweeting:
The President might have just picked up the slack of the continuous glucose monitor @karmel_a @BarackObama nicely done #type1diabetes — Allison F (@Ally_FerTito) October 21, 2013
Allison wrote a blog post about Obamacare and how it affects her.
"I was floored by what I saw. I filled out the simple questionnaire on the website to see my options. They asked me about my age, my income, my family size. And that was it. No medical history.
"Then I was presented with options. The same options my healthy-young-male husband sees. The same options every late-twenty-something sees."
"It's incredible. It's profoundly American, to feel like I have choices and the freedom to move." wrote Allison.
Read more on What Obamacare Feels Like to a Diabetic (click here)
Read more on Who Is Karmel Allison? How The Obama Fainting Woman Wound Up On Stage For The President's Affordable Care Act Speech [VIDEO] (click here)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- Ebola Update: Australian Aid Worker Appeals For More Field Hospitals, U.S. Steps Up Efforts To Fight Virus
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet