Obama Cares: U.S. President Barack Obama Shows He Truly Cares by Catching Fainting Pregnant Woman in Time
By Janice Somosot | October 23, 2013 6:22 PM EST
U.S. President Barack Obama proves that Obamacare is truly serious about its goals to provide affordable health care for everyone in the U.S. He even demonstrated it by catching Karmel Allison, a fainting pregnant woman, in time. Obama really cares, after all! He cared enough to stop midway in his speech about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare, to help out someone in need.
ASweetLife science editor Karmel Allison (the woman in red), who also has a blog called Where is My Robot Pancreas?, was invited at the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington D.C on Monday, Oct. 21, 2013 to witness U.S. President Barack Obama's speech about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare.
But, Karmel, who is pregnant, as well as diabetic, felt dizzy and almost fainted during the said speech. Luckily for her, President Obama and a man behind her have quick reflexes and managed to catch her before she fell flat on the floor.
President Obama was speaking about the ACA Web site getting fixed and how they fought hard to pass the health care law to help people who don't have health insurance, so that they can still get health care without falling into debt.
"The website is going to get fixed and the law works. That's why we fought so hard to pass this law -- to save folks like John money; to give people who don't have health insurance the chance to get it for the first time; to lift from the American people the crushing burden of unaffordable health care; to free families from the pervasive fear that one illness..." said Obama.
Suddenly, Allison felt ill and appeared to faint.
But Obama held on to her and said "There you go, you are ok. I'm right here. I got you. No, no -- you're okay."
"This happens when I talk too long." Obama added jokingly.
He then continued and finished his speech, promising to free families from their fear of losing everything just to be able to pay for their health care bills, should they get sick.
"Our goal has always been to declare that in this country the security of health care is not a privilege for a fortunate few. It's a right for all to enjoy. That's what the Affordable Care Act is all about. That's its promise. And I intend to deliver on that promise." Obama finished.
Allison is okay now after the said incident.
She even tweeted Obama:
I'm ok world- just got a little lightheaded.Thanks, @BarackObama for catching me! And good thing this pregnant diabetic is pregnant :)
— Karmel Allison (@karmel_a) October 21, 2013
Other Twitter users also reacted on what happened to Allison, tweeting:
The President might have just picked up the slack of the continuous glucose monitor @karmel_a @BarackObama nicely done #type1diabetes — Allison F (@Ally_FerTito) October 21, 2013
Allison wrote a blog post about Obamacare and how it affects her.
"I was floored by what I saw. I filled out the simple questionnaire on the website to see my options. They asked me about my age, my income, my family size. And that was it. No medical history.
"Then I was presented with options. The same options my healthy-young-male husband sees. The same options every late-twenty-something sees."
"It's incredible. It's profoundly American, to feel like I have choices and the freedom to move." wrote Allison.
Read more on What Obamacare Feels Like to a Diabetic (click here)
Read more on Who Is Karmel Allison? How The Obama Fainting Woman Wound Up On Stage For The President's Affordable Care Act Speech [VIDEO] (click here)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Vaccine Not Coming Soon Enough; Australia and New Zealand Prepare for Possible Outbreak
- Ebola Virus Spreading in Africa Could Reach US
- Top 10 Deadliest Viruses To Ever Exist
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet
- Gluten-Free Diets? Research Says it Contains No Nutrition!
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools