BlackBerry finally launched BBM this Monday afternoon and it's ready for free download on iOS and Android. BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), the formerly exclusive application of BlackBerry devices resumed its rollout after several delays due to unexpected demands and a leaked unreleased version of the Messaging app that "caused issues" with BMM servers.
Credits: KD Figuerres
Users who signed up on BBM.com are the first in line to download. This serves as a "holding spot" for BlackBerry to avoid similar issues they had back in Sept. when the strong demands led to a month-long delay. A staggered queue system or some sort of a waiting list is used by BlackBerry to handle the demand this time.
Currently, BlackBerry reported the Messaging app has been downloaded five million times already and there are still approximately 60 million users of the app all over the world exchanging ten billion messages every day. These figures stand in contrast to the notion that BlackBerry is on the ropes because the Messaging app remains a popular messaging platform.
Credits: KD Figuerres
How to Download BMM for Free
- Users must download BBM for iPhone or Android from their marketplaces for free. If you signed up in BBM.com in advance, you can start using the app immediately, for those who didn't, BlackBerry said it is moving millions of users through the line as fast as it can.
- After installing the app, open and enter your email address to queue your spot.
- Afterwards, you will receive an email and you may start using BBM. (Follow @BBM on Twitter for updates on how fast the queue is moving.)
- Anybody can sign up for the app, however a BlackBerry ID is necessary to log-in. You can create one by providing your email ID and creating a password.
- After sign-in, the app assigns a PIN similar to BlackBerry Messenger on Blackberry devices. BlackBerry links the PIN to the device. Only one ID is used on one device. If you sign in to another device you will be asked if you wish to switch the account to that device.
- Start adding friends by sharing QR codes and PIN via email, SMS and social networking websites. You need to add friends first before you can start sending messages via BBM.
- Chat with friends as a single user or as a group. You may add up to 30 people in one group chat.
To contact the editor, e-mail: