Apple had officially announced its latest products, updates and apps from its Oct 22 event.
Here are the summary of the announcements that transpired during the event:
iPad Air Release Date
iPad Air is 20 per cent thinner and 29 per cent lighter than the fourth generation iPad; its bezel on the borders are thinner.
"iPad created an entirely new mobile computing experience, and the new iPad Air is another big leap ahead. It is so thin, light and powerful, once you hold one in your hand you will understand what a tremendous advancement this is. iPad Air with its 9.7-inch Retina display weighs just one pound and packs the incredible performance of iOS 7 running on a 64-bit desktop-class Apple A7 chip, and delivers all-day battery life in the lightest full-sized tablet in the world," as stated by Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.
iPad Air will be available on Friday, Nov 1 in silver or space gray for a suggested retail price of:
- $499 (US) for the 16GB model
- $599 (US) for the 32GB model
- $699 (US) for the 64GB model and
- $799 (US) for the 128GB model.
iPad Air with Wi-Fi models will also be available on Friday, Nov 1, in silver or space gray for a suggested retail price:
- iPad Air with Wi-Fi + Cellular - $629 (US)
- 16GB model, $729 (US)
- 32GB model, $829 (US)
- 64GB model and $929 (US)
- 128GB model.
iPad 2 is available at:
- $399 (US) for 16GB Wi-Fi model
- $529 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G model for either AT&T or Verizon.
iPad mini with Retina display Release Date
iPad mini with retina display has all the pixels of the 9.7 inch iPad to its 7.9 inch screen.
Apple did not announce an official iPad mini with retina display release date but said that it will be available later in November in silver or space gray for a suggested retail price of:
- $399 (US) for the 16GB model
- $499 (US) for the 32GB model
- $599 (US) for the 64GB model
- $699 (US) for the 128GB model.
The iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular models will be available for a suggested retail price of:
- $529 (US) for the 16GB model
- $629 (US) for the 32GB model
- $729 (US) for the 64GB model
- $829 (US) for the 128GB model.
Additionally, the original iPad mini is now offered at a more affordable price of:
- $299 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi model
- $429 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model for either AT&T, Sprint or Verizon.
The All New Mac Pro
The all new Mac Pro is slated to be released in December through the Apple Online Store.
The all new Mac Pro is designed to redefine pro computing with its innovative unified thermal core, the latest Intel Xeon process, dual work station-class GPU's, six Thunderbolt 2 ports, PCle-based flash storage and ultra-fast ECC memory.
"The new Mac Pro is our vision for the future of the pro desktop, everything about it has been reimagined and there has never been anything like it. The new Mac Pro packs up to 12-core Xeon CPUs, dual FirePro GPUs, ultra-fast ECC memory, new PCIe flash storage, Thunderbolt 2 expandability and more into a radical new design that is one-eighth the size of the previous generation Mac Pro," said Mr Schiller.
"From the blazing fast performance of DaVinci Resolve to real-time video capture with UltraStudio 4K, Mac Pro is a revolution in pro desktop design and performance," as described by Grant Petty, CEO of Blackmagic Design.
"With the Mac Pro's dual workstation-class GPUs, we've seen MARI run five times faster, creating a fluid painting experience that's unlike anything we've seen. This kind of performance is a digital artist's dream," Bill Collis, CEO of The Foundry stated.
"At 20Gbps, Mac Pro's Thunderbolt 2 blows away anything on the market and completely changes the external storage landscape," said James Lee, CEO of PROMISE Technology.
The Updated MacBook Pro with Retina Display
The updated MacBook Pro - which consistently redefines the experience of the pro netbook - is already available on Oct 22 through the Apple online store.
"We've made the world's best pro notebook even better by adding more performance and even longer battery life. MacBook Pro with Retina display continues to redefine the pro notebook," announced Mr Schiller.
Free OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store
As of the Oct 22 official announcements, OS X Mavericks is available for free from the Mac App Store.
"Mavericks is an incredible release, which introduces significant new apps and features, while also improving the performance and battery life of your Mac. We want every Mac user to experience the latest features, the most advanced technologies, and the strongest security. We believe the best way to do this is to begin a new era of personal computing software where OS upgrades are free," as announced by Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering.
OS X Mavericks introduces innovative new features, including:
- iBooks, which gives you instant access to your iBooks library, more than two million titles in the iBooks StoreTM, and works seamlessly across your devices;
- Maps, which brings powerful mapping technology to the desktop and lets you plan a trip from your Mac and send it to your iPhone® for voice navigation on the road;
- a streamlined Calendar that estimates travel time between appointments, and provides a map with weather forecast;
- a new version of Safari with Shared Links, which helps you find what's new on the web by consolidating links shared by people you follow on Twitter and LinkedIn;
- iCloud® Keychain®, which safely stores your website usernames and passwords, credit card numbers and Wi-Fi passwords and pushes them to your trusted devices so you don't need to remember them;
- enhanced multi-display support, which makes using multiple displays easier and more powerful, with no configuration required;
- interactive Notifications, allowing you to reply to a message, respond to a FaceTime® call or even delete an email without leaving the app you're using;
- Finder Tabs, which help unclutter your desktop by consolidating multiple Finder windows into a single window with multiple tabs; and
- Finder Tags, a powerful new way to organize and find your files located on your Mac or in iCloud.
Next Generation iWork and iLife Apps for OS x and iOS
For every new Mac purchase, iWork and iLife come free of charge. Those users which already had Mavericks running can update their apps for free from the Mac App Store.
iWork and iLife for iOS are also available for free from the App store.
For those new devices running the iOS 7, iWork and iLife are also available for free as free updates.
GarageBand for Mac and iOS are free for all OS X Mavericks and iOS 7 users. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available for a one-time in-app purchase of $4.99 for each platform.
"This is the biggest day for apps in Apple's history. These new versions deliver seamless experiences across devices that you can't find anywhere else and are packed with great features like iMovie Theater, Drummer and a new unified file format for iWork documents across all your devices," announced Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services.
To contact the editor, e-mail: