Humble Pope Francis Finally Meets Eye to Eye Extravagant German Bishop, Vatican Mulls Fate of Latter
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 23, 2013 12:26 PM EST
Model of humility for the Roman Catholic religion, no less than its spiritual leader Pope Francis, has finally met on Monday Germany's extravagant Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst who allegedly spent a whopping $42 million on renovations to his home.
But apart from confirming the actual face off between the two spiritual leaders, the Vatican did not offer any other details on the meeting.
Pope Francis was alerted on Bishop Tebartz-van Elst's lavish lifestyle by Archbishop Robert Zollitsch, the president of the German Bishops Conference, who sent the pontiff a letter about it. Archbishop Zollitsch noted the German bishop's alleged spending habits directly contradicts the pope's instructions on simple living.
Bishop Tebartz-van Elst's has likewise been alleged to have lied and denied the gross spending to a commission formed to look into his irregular expenditures.
The renovations to his new home reportedly included a 63-square-metre dining room and a 15,000-euro bathtub.
Apart from the Pope, Bishop Tebartz-van Elst reportedly also met Cologne's Archbishop Cardinal Joachim Meisner in the same meeting.
According to Deutsche Welle, quoting Roman Catholic church insiders, the pope and Meisner must have possibly asked Bishop Tebartz-van Elst to voluntarily step down.
"A pope cannot simply fire a bishop. There need to be serious grounds for removal from office: either he is too ill to perform his duties or he has violated church law. So the Vatican would have to prove the latter. With a view to this, the German Bishops' Conference has spent the last few days examining Tebartz-van Elst's financial records," Deutsche Welle reported.
However, it may still take some time for the Vatican to release a decision on the matter.
Archbishop Zollitsch is still required to file a report concerning the scandal, ABC News reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch