65-Inch New Apple TV Ready for Release?
By Karla Danica Figuerres | October 23, 2013 9:21 AM EST
Ultra-high definition 65-inch screen Apple TVs are expected to sell next year according to Advanced Research Japan Co. Although Apple Inc. (AAPL) is still deciding on the specs, it is likely to be frameless according to Masahiko Ishino, analyst from the Tokyo-based company.
Before the Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs, died in 2011, he said to his biographer that he "finally cracked" how to build TV using a simpler UI that can wirelessly synchronize content with other Apple devices. Last May 29, Apple Inc. CEO Tim Cook mentioned that TV is in "intense focus" for the company as it seeks to incorporate products that can add to the success of iPhones, iPads and Macs.
As per Ishino, Corning Inc., Samsung Electronics Co. and LG Display Co. might supply TVs for Apple at $1500 to $2500. Corning may supply Gorilla Glass 3 for the cover, Samsung for the graphic processing units and LG Display may supply approximately 70 percent of the liquid-crystal displays. He further mentioned that Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group will likely assemble the devices.
Similarly, reports from Mark Gurman of 9to5Mac said that Apple is testing an Xbox Kinect-like control for TV although it remains unclear whether or not this will be the newest technology of the next generation of Apple TVs.
Meanwhile, Amazon France and Germany hinted that a new Apple TV will be released soon. Instead of making the item as "pre-order" or "no longer available" similar to out of stock products, they suggested sudden unavailability of the current Apple TV and they noted that the device will be available from Oct. 23. However, other Amazon European Web sites serving Ireland and the UK, along with Japan and U.S. stores remain to have Apple TVs in stock. Apple Online Stores have no availability issues in Europe as well.
It must be noted that Amazon is not "leaking" the new model of Apple TV as the French Web site still advertises the model MD199FD/A which is the current European version of the TV. Some rumours suggest that this is just a part of Apple's marketing scheme to lure customers to buy Apple TVs and boost sales this holiday season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices