Minnesota's Minneapolis-Saint Paul: The US Economic Icon [VIDEO]
By Lianna Brinded | October 22, 2013 8:03 PM EST
The Minneapolis-Saint Paul region in the US state Minnesota is the posterchild for economic growth, diverse business sectors, and strong trade ties in America.
Despite major cities, such as Detroit, tumbling into bankruptcy, the 16-county Minneapolis-Saint Paul region has GDP is slightly larger than that of Ireland and Portugal and has reported economic growth that is 56% times faster than the US as a whole.
GDP is at $220bn (£136bn, €161bn) and is home to 3.4 million residents which enjoy the lowest unemployment rate of all major economies in the US at 4.9%.
Meanwhile, around 90 British companies operate in the state, investing more than $1bn in the economy, employing more than 14,000 Minnesotans, largely in the greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul metro region.
Worldwide, Britain is the second largest investor in Minnesota, second only to Canada.
Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, Saint Paul Mayor Chris Coleman and Michael Langley, CEO, Greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul Regional Economic Development Partnership all caught up with IBTimes TV to tell the secrets behind the region's success.
For the full video interview, check out IBTimes TV or the video on the top right hand side of the page.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage