Minnesota's Minneapolis-Saint Paul: The US Economic Icon [VIDEO]
By Lianna Brinded | October 22, 2013 8:03 PM EST
The Minneapolis-Saint Paul region in the US state Minnesota is the posterchild for economic growth, diverse business sectors, and strong trade ties in America.
Despite major cities, such as Detroit, tumbling into bankruptcy, the 16-county Minneapolis-Saint Paul region has GDP is slightly larger than that of Ireland and Portugal and has reported economic growth that is 56% times faster than the US as a whole.
GDP is at $220bn (£136bn, €161bn) and is home to 3.4 million residents which enjoy the lowest unemployment rate of all major economies in the US at 4.9%.
Meanwhile, around 90 British companies operate in the state, investing more than $1bn in the economy, employing more than 14,000 Minnesotans, largely in the greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul metro region.
Worldwide, Britain is the second largest investor in Minnesota, second only to Canada.
Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, Saint Paul Mayor Chris Coleman and Michael Langley, CEO, Greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul Regional Economic Development Partnership all caught up with IBTimes TV to tell the secrets behind the region's success.
For the full video interview, check out IBTimes TV or the video on the top right hand side of the page.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues