LG Nexus 5 Issued Ahead of October 25 Release Date? Amazon Reviewer Claims Phone Case ‘Fits Well’ with KitKat Device
By Erik Pineda | October 22, 2013 5:20 PM EST
Bearing the username 'S Power', an Amazon reviewer revealed that her recently purchased case cover was the right fit for the Nexus 5 that allegedly she obtained in advance, well before the confirmed Google Oct 24 event.
The reviewer, according to Phandroid.com, stopped short of flaunting the KitKat-powered smartphone, explaining that an embargo is in effect (she was legally prevented from spilling any details) and will not be lifted until Oct 25.
Granting the declaration has some semblance of truth, it is also possible that Google is planning to immediately make it hero phone available on the day after its supposed unveiling. This is likely by pushing the Nexus 5 to go live on the Play Store 24 hours after its uncloaking.
S Power, according to the Phandroid report, is a TOP 100 reviewer, meaning her reputation is unsullied at the moment, as far as Amazon is concerned.
But why Google would pick the reviewer as the lucky recipient of an advance Nexus 5 unit, which to date has been guarded in secrecy. Note that save for its operating system and some leaked specs and features, what the phone looks like and how it will behave remain a big question mark for the Android world.
One likelihood is, S Power has been tasked to review the unit days before the Nexus 5 revelation (her Amazon post is dated Oct 19) with strict instructions that she can only trumpet her findings and sentiments at an appointed, which points to Oct 25.
Or she simply is a total hoax, merely wishing to gain some 15 minutes of fame.
Regardless, what she floated makes some sense as Google already sent out the invites for its special media gathering Thursday this week, which for many analysts is D-Day to finally see the freshly-minted Nexus 5 in all its phablet-size glory.
At the same time, the internet search giant is also expected to unleash the Android 4.4, which has been nicknamed KitKat. Other products that likely to be debuted on the same day is the regular-size tablet Nexus 10 and the Nexus Gem or Google's first answer to the Galaxy Gear smartwatch from Samsung.
For most of the Android fans, however, the worthiest foe of the Nexus 5 is the iPhone 5S, which was released in late September 2013 with an A7 chip capable of 64-bit computing plus loads of killer features that are packed with iOS 7.
To battle the Apple 2013 flagship, Google is reportedly equipping the iPhone killer with a 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 CPU, 2GB of RAM, an Adreno 330 GPU, 13MP cam with optical image stabilisation and a battery upsize of up to 2700mAh.
The Nexus 4 successor is also offering a choice of 16GB and 32GB storage space.
Yet what really could rake in big numbers for the device is its always-on voice command feature, a feature that will be borrowed from the Moto X, making its starting price of $350 a worthy buy and even a bargain when compared to other upscale gadgets.
Earlier reports have indicated that the LG Nexus 5 release date would happen between late October and early November 2013 but there is a chance the claims coming from an Amazon reviewer could come true.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family