Miss Universe: Oxana Federova, Russia’s First Victory and MU’s Shortest Reign
By Riza Ornos | October 22, 2013 12:18 PM EST
The pageant's most beautiful queen, Oxana Federova is Russia's first victory and Miss Universe shortest reign. Rumored to be pregnant during her reign, Federova denied the pregnancy rumors and voluntarily gave up her crown after 3 months of reigning as Miss Universe so she can can finish her law degree.
Oxana Federova was hailed as Miss Universe 2002 in the pageant's 51st edition which was held in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She bested 74 other candidates from all over the world and was given multiple honors and gifts for her victory, including a Russian doll dedicated to her by designer Helen Yarmak.
Federova won the most coveted crown and was voted unanimously as Miss Universe 2002; Miss Panama Justine Pasek is the first runner-up who later replaced Federova as Miss Universe, Miss China Zhou Ling is the 2nd runner-up and Miss Africa Vanessa Carreira as the 3rd runner-up. Thanks to her extraordinary beauty and outstanding performance, Oxana almost had a perfect score in the judges scorecard.
A native of Pskov, Oxana is a daughter of a nuclear physicist and her mother worked as a nurse. She's not only beautiful but she has the intelligence to back her beauty as she graduated from the police academy with honors. She then worked as an inspector in the Pskov militia before she moved to St. Petersburg to further her studies.
After she gave up her throne, Federova become a household name when she hosted Russia's most popular children show "Spokoinoi Nochi, Malyshi" (Goodnight Night, Little One), the show won the famous TEFI award for Best Children's Show in Oct. 2003 in less than a year of hosting it. After a numerous hosting gig, Federova appeared on the television show "Dancing With The Stars 2: Russian Version" in 2006, and made it to the Top 5.
Just recently, Federova accepted the Peace Award at the Beirut International Award Festival (BIAF) held in Lebanon on Nov. 27, 2012 because of her involvement in the children's charity program. She is now married to Andrey Borodin and have two children, Fyodor is now two years old and she recently gave birth to her second child, Elizaveta was born on July 22, 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports