Miss Universe: Oxana Federova, Russia’s First Victory and MU’s Shortest Reign
By Riza Ornos | October 22, 2013 12:18 PM EST
The pageant's most beautiful queen, Oxana Federova is Russia's first victory and Miss Universe shortest reign. Rumored to be pregnant during her reign, Federova denied the pregnancy rumors and voluntarily gave up her crown after 3 months of reigning as Miss Universe so she can can finish her law degree.
Oxana Federova was hailed as Miss Universe 2002 in the pageant's 51st edition which was held in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She bested 74 other candidates from all over the world and was given multiple honors and gifts for her victory, including a Russian doll dedicated to her by designer Helen Yarmak.
Federova won the most coveted crown and was voted unanimously as Miss Universe 2002; Miss Panama Justine Pasek is the first runner-up who later replaced Federova as Miss Universe, Miss China Zhou Ling is the 2nd runner-up and Miss Africa Vanessa Carreira as the 3rd runner-up. Thanks to her extraordinary beauty and outstanding performance, Oxana almost had a perfect score in the judges scorecard.
A native of Pskov, Oxana is a daughter of a nuclear physicist and her mother worked as a nurse. She's not only beautiful but she has the intelligence to back her beauty as she graduated from the police academy with honors. She then worked as an inspector in the Pskov militia before she moved to St. Petersburg to further her studies.
After she gave up her throne, Federova become a household name when she hosted Russia's most popular children show "Spokoinoi Nochi, Malyshi" (Goodnight Night, Little One), the show won the famous TEFI award for Best Children's Show in Oct. 2003 in less than a year of hosting it. After a numerous hosting gig, Federova appeared on the television show "Dancing With The Stars 2: Russian Version" in 2006, and made it to the Top 5.
Just recently, Federova accepted the Peace Award at the Beirut International Award Festival (BIAF) held in Lebanon on Nov. 27, 2012 because of her involvement in the children's charity program. She is now married to Andrey Borodin and have two children, Fyodor is now two years old and she recently gave birth to her second child, Elizaveta was born on July 22, 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast