The bold grab of Windows 8 for tablet relevance snatched several headlines all over the Internet. But the thing is, if you own one of the Windows 8 touchscreen laptops, you might feel that you are not making the most of it. Although Windows Store provides a wide array of apps and games, people are still undoubtedly going gaga over Android apps.
Lo and behold! Gone are the days when Android is just for Android devices. You can still use Android apps on Mac or PCs running Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, thanks to BlueStacks App.
1. Open your browser and search for BlueStacks.com. Click the download button for your OS. For PC, you may choose between Windows 8, Vista and Windows 7 or XP. If you are running on Mac, choose Mac.
Once the download is complete open .exe file and follow the prompts to install. Click on "welcome to BlueStacks continue button" to accept terms of license agreement. Follow the screen procedures.
2. Make sure that App Notification and App Store Access are checked and then click install. Wait for BlueStacks App to load. It will take a few minutes to complete the installation.
3. Click My Apps and then click App Search button. Search for an app, allow BlueStacks to complete and then click on the Install button.
Hint: This search will tell you which store offers the apps that you want; it does not install the app per se.
Credit: Karla Danica Figuerres
4. Select an app store.
Hint: Choosing a store that you already use on your mobile device will cost you less. Migrating apps that are already paid are cheaper.
5. If prompted, add the details of your account. If you have a Google account, you can add it here. If you don't have one, click on Create. Allow sync and then choose Finish Setup. Make sure to click the terms and conditions boxes and then click Continue.
6. Log into your Google account again and then do another search for the app which you wish to install. Wait for the search to finish and then select Accept and Download. Install the app and then open it.
Hint: When communicating with the app, utilise the on-screen or pop up keyboard rather than the physical keyboard.
There you go! You can now enjoy your favourite smartphone app on your PC or Mac.
To contact the editor, e-mail: