NBA News: GM Dell Demps Says New Orleans Pelicans Have Both Youth and Experience
By Lou Ramon Aguila | October 22, 2013 12:32 AM EST
New Orleans Pelicans general manager Dell Demps believes his current team possesses both youth and experience to become successful this coming season, the executive told Gary Washburn of Boston Globe.
Demps unveiled his grand plan for the new-look Pelicans this summer by acquiring up-and-coming players such Tyreke Evans (via free agency) and Jrue Holiday (via trade).
The Pelicans don't have a player on their roster older than 28, but the team's GM believed the team has a lot of seasoned guys ready to step up.
"When we put the group together, that was something that was important to us; of course we have a lot of young guys but we also have guys with experience," said Dell Demps. "Look at Jrue Holiday going into his fifth year, Eric Gordon going into his sixth year, Ryan Anderson sixth year.
"We have guys that are young but yet experienced. I think that's a sign of the new NBA where guys come into the league younger now. What I am hoping is these guys kind of are through the learning curve and understand the league now and take that next step."
Demps stressed that former no.1 overall pick Anthony Davis will be the franchise player of the team moving forward.
"He's really committed to getting better, which is exciting. It's fun watching the development and the commitment that he has made in the offseason and we're seeing the dividends in training camp," said of Davis, who is racking big numbers on both ends of the floor this preseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft