NBA News: GM Dell Demps Says New Orleans Pelicans Have Both Youth and Experience
By Lou Ramon Aguila | October 22, 2013 12:32 AM EST
New Orleans Pelicans general manager Dell Demps believes his current team possesses both youth and experience to become successful this coming season, the executive told Gary Washburn of Boston Globe.
Demps unveiled his grand plan for the new-look Pelicans this summer by acquiring up-and-coming players such Tyreke Evans (via free agency) and Jrue Holiday (via trade).
The Pelicans don't have a player on their roster older than 28, but the team's GM believed the team has a lot of seasoned guys ready to step up.
"When we put the group together, that was something that was important to us; of course we have a lot of young guys but we also have guys with experience," said Dell Demps. "Look at Jrue Holiday going into his fifth year, Eric Gordon going into his sixth year, Ryan Anderson sixth year.
"We have guys that are young but yet experienced. I think that's a sign of the new NBA where guys come into the league younger now. What I am hoping is these guys kind of are through the learning curve and understand the league now and take that next step."
Demps stressed that former no.1 overall pick Anthony Davis will be the franchise player of the team moving forward.
"He's really committed to getting better, which is exciting. It's fun watching the development and the commitment that he has made in the offseason and we're seeing the dividends in training camp," said of Davis, who is racking big numbers on both ends of the floor this preseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales