Bank of America Faces $6bn Fine for Misleading Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
By m rochan | October 22, 2013 12:07 AM EST
A report by the Financial Times said that the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) is pursuing claims on behalf of the two housing agencies which back around half of the outstanding American home loans.
BofA has incurred more than $40bn in legal liabilities owing to its 2008 acquisition of Countrywide Financial, in the aftermath of the mortgage meltdown. The lender put away a further $300m for mortgage litigation in the latest quarter.
The FHFA has sued several banks for allegedly misrepresenting the quality of the collateral backing securities in the run-up to the 2008 financial crisis.
Meanwhile, JPMorgan has negotiated a tentative $13bn settlement with authorities to put an end to a raft of government mortgage product related probes.
In July, UBS agreed to pay $885m in a settlement with the FHFA over allegations the scandal-ridden Swiss bank misrepresented mortgage-backed bonds during the housing boom.
Analysts at Credit Suisse earlier this year said European banks could take an $11bn hit from a raft of mortgage-related litigation costs in the US.
Deutsche Bank has set aside €2.4bn for litigation costs after topping that up in March, by an additional €600m, mainly related to lawsuits over its role in selling bonds backed by US sub-prime mortgages.
The FHFA claim could result in BofA making a second sizeable payment to Fannie Mae.
In January, the bank reached a $10bn agreement with Fannie Mae to settle claims the it sold the US government supported lender toxic mortgage bonds in the lead up to the global financial crisis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan