Bank of America Faces $6bn Fine for Misleading Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
By m rochan | October 22, 2013 12:07 AM EST
A report by the Financial Times said that the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) is pursuing claims on behalf of the two housing agencies which back around half of the outstanding American home loans.
BofA has incurred more than $40bn in legal liabilities owing to its 2008 acquisition of Countrywide Financial, in the aftermath of the mortgage meltdown. The lender put away a further $300m for mortgage litigation in the latest quarter.
The FHFA has sued several banks for allegedly misrepresenting the quality of the collateral backing securities in the run-up to the 2008 financial crisis.
Meanwhile, JPMorgan has negotiated a tentative $13bn settlement with authorities to put an end to a raft of government mortgage product related probes.
In July, UBS agreed to pay $885m in a settlement with the FHFA over allegations the scandal-ridden Swiss bank misrepresented mortgage-backed bonds during the housing boom.
Analysts at Credit Suisse earlier this year said European banks could take an $11bn hit from a raft of mortgage-related litigation costs in the US.
Deutsche Bank has set aside €2.4bn for litigation costs after topping that up in March, by an additional €600m, mainly related to lawsuits over its role in selling bonds backed by US sub-prime mortgages.
The FHFA claim could result in BofA making a second sizeable payment to Fannie Mae.
In January, the bank reached a $10bn agreement with Fannie Mae to settle claims the it sold the US government supported lender toxic mortgage bonds in the lead up to the global financial crisis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best