Bohol, Philippines Earthquake: 5.4 Aftershock Occurs, Toppled Historical Old Churches Now Just Remain Memories, Damages to Infrastructure Reach AU$18M
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 21, 2013 5:02 PM EST
Barely a week after the devastating 7.2 magnitude earthquake, the Philippines' Central Visayas region has again been struck by a 5.4 magnitude quake on Monday morning, one of the thousands of aftershocks of the original temblor.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said the 5.4 magnitude earthquake, which struck 7:03 am local time on Monday, was located 37 kilometres northeast of Tagbilaran City at a depth of 10 kilometres.
It was felt as Intensity III in Tagbilaran, Intensity IV in Metro Cebu and Intensity V in San Isidro, Bohol.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in a report time stamped as of 4 am, Monday, last week's temblor had given off a total of 2,193 recorded aftershocks, 46 were felt in Bohol and other affected provinces.
Meanwhile, cost of damages to infrastructure caused by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake has reached ₱759.64 million (AU$18.22 million).
Bulk of the damaged infrastructure, which include roads, bridges, flood control and school and public buildings, are found in Bohol at P655.88 million (AU$15.73 million), P96.16 million (AU$2.30 million) in Cebu and P7.35 million (AU$176,266) in Siquijor, according to a 6 pm update issued by the NDRRMC on Sunday evening.
Among those badly damaged were old churches, the Philippines' being the bailiwick of the Roman Catholic religion in Southeast Asia.
"Heritage is a non-renewable resource. When it is destroyed, it will not come back. Even memories are not enough to bring it back," Atty Trixie Angeles from the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA) told local news outlet the Manila Bulletin.
The 7.2 magnitude earthquake damaged a total of 22 centuries-old churches in Bohol island, famous for its Chocolate Hills, tarsiers and pristine beaches. Two - the Our Lady of Light Church (Loon Church) built in 1753, and the Santa Cruz Parish Church (Maribojoc Church) - were totally razed to the ground.
Other major historical churches badly damaged were the
- Assumption of Our Lady Shrine Parish in Dauis, built in 1697;
- Most Holy Trinity Parish (Loay Church), built in 1822;
- San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish (Dimiao Church), built in 1750;
- St. Michael The Archangel Parish (Clarin Church), built in 1924;
- St. Anthony de Abbot Church (Carmen Church), built in 1874.
According to the NDRRMC in the same update issued on Sunday evening, the number of fatalities remained at 185. Injured persons reached 583 while the number of missing were at nine.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]