Bohol, Philippines Earthquake: 5.4 Aftershock Occurs, Toppled Historical Old Churches Now Just Remain Memories, Damages to Infrastructure Reach AU$18M
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 21, 2013 5:02 PM EST
Barely a week after the devastating 7.2 magnitude earthquake, the Philippines' Central Visayas region has again been struck by a 5.4 magnitude quake on Monday morning, one of the thousands of aftershocks of the original temblor.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said the 5.4 magnitude earthquake, which struck 7:03 am local time on Monday, was located 37 kilometres northeast of Tagbilaran City at a depth of 10 kilometres.
It was felt as Intensity III in Tagbilaran, Intensity IV in Metro Cebu and Intensity V in San Isidro, Bohol.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in a report time stamped as of 4 am, Monday, last week's temblor had given off a total of 2,193 recorded aftershocks, 46 were felt in Bohol and other affected provinces.
Meanwhile, cost of damages to infrastructure caused by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake has reached ₱759.64 million (AU$18.22 million).
Bulk of the damaged infrastructure, which include roads, bridges, flood control and school and public buildings, are found in Bohol at P655.88 million (AU$15.73 million), P96.16 million (AU$2.30 million) in Cebu and P7.35 million (AU$176,266) in Siquijor, according to a 6 pm update issued by the NDRRMC on Sunday evening.
Among those badly damaged were old churches, the Philippines' being the bailiwick of the Roman Catholic religion in Southeast Asia.
"Heritage is a non-renewable resource. When it is destroyed, it will not come back. Even memories are not enough to bring it back," Atty Trixie Angeles from the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA) told local news outlet the Manila Bulletin.
The 7.2 magnitude earthquake damaged a total of 22 centuries-old churches in Bohol island, famous for its Chocolate Hills, tarsiers and pristine beaches. Two - the Our Lady of Light Church (Loon Church) built in 1753, and the Santa Cruz Parish Church (Maribojoc Church) - were totally razed to the ground.
Other major historical churches badly damaged were the
- Assumption of Our Lady Shrine Parish in Dauis, built in 1697;
- Most Holy Trinity Parish (Loay Church), built in 1822;
- San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish (Dimiao Church), built in 1750;
- St. Michael The Archangel Parish (Clarin Church), built in 1924;
- St. Anthony de Abbot Church (Carmen Church), built in 1874.
According to the NDRRMC in the same update issued on Sunday evening, the number of fatalities remained at 185. Injured persons reached 583 while the number of missing were at nine.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales