NSW Fire: Military Investigates Role in Lithgow Fire; Iconic Zig Zag Railway Gutted
By Sunny Peter | October 21, 2013 4:58 PM EST
As the New South Wales (NSW) fire rages on, the Australian military on Saturday said it would investigate whether an explosive training on its land in Lithgow started the State Mine fire there. This comes after the NSW Rural Fire Service said the fire started on defence land. Meanwhile, reports say, the blaze has severely damaged the Lithgow's iconic Zig Zag Railway which was expected to restart operations soon.
In a statement to the press, the Australian Defence Force said it would investigate the circumstances of the fire near Lithgow, which began on its land.
"The fire started on 16 October, the same day that Defence personnel were conducting an explosive ordnance training activity," according to the statement.
"Defence is investigating if the two events are linked.
"The primary concern at this stage is for the safety of the communities in the vicinity of the fire, then the ongoing investigation which will review both the incident and Defence procedures.
"Our thoughts are with those who have lost property or whose property is threatened by these devastating fires," the statement added.
"Defence will work with the NSW Rural Fire Service to investigate the incident and Defence procedures, once the fire has been extinguished," the statement said.
On the other hand, NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell refused to speculate on the cause of the State Mine fire near Lithgow.
Addressing the media shortly after the military issued its statement, Mr O'Farrell said he was aware of the information, but would await the facts in the matter.
"Let's get the facts. I deal in facts," Mr O'Farrell remarked.
This comes as firefighters battled bushfires across New South Wales, which could take weeks to fully overcome, according to reports.
ABC News reports that the blaze has severely damaged Lithgow's iconic Zig Zag Railway. The damage bill could be as high as $4 million.
Zig Zag Railway is an Australian heritage railway was expected to restart operations this month, after being closed in June 2012 for an indefinite period following accreditation issues with the New South Wales Government.
It is what CEO Michael Forbes described as a feeling of being "bloody gobsmacked" after he toured the burnt facility on Saturday, reports Sydney Morning Herald.
Volunteers were devastated but were holding together as well as they can, he said.
It would take more than a year for the railway to recover, the report says.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers